Author Topic: Wingnuts Albatros B.II sold out ?  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Wingnuts Albatros B.II sold out ?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
I'm actually excited about the B.II and my purchase wasn't "knee-jerk". It's different enough than most of the other WnW kits on offer. It has that early aviation "fragile kite" look that a BE.2 has, but in German form. My feeling is that it will sell pretty well. I also ordered the Datafile the day after the WnW kit went on the market and noticed the mention of the kit in the book's description.

The Dolphin isn't really one I'm interested in, although I love most Sopwiths. I guess taste is very subjective! :D

George

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 04:06:33 AM »
Lance - forgive my ambiguity  ::) T'were that it had been you what I actually meant was I managed to get the last one that Hannants had. Hope to pick it up tomorrow.

Obviously I'm looking forwards to ordering a B11 in a few weeks time but if that Dolphin was to materialise ? :o :o :o - now that would present a paradox indeed. Nice thought though :)

Tug

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 05:08:04 AM »
I'm actually excited about the B.II and my purchase wasn't "knee-jerk".

Totally agree. Seems like ground we've gone over many times in this thread -- there are people salivating for the more mainstream types, and others that get excited about the more obscure workhorses. Forunately WNW seems happy to oblige both camps. We all win.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 05:10:50 AM »
I have ordered one Alb. B.II and I am very decided to build it, just when it comes. Should be a fun!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:40 AM »
Lance - forgive my ambiguity  ::) T'were that it had been you what I actually meant was I managed to get the last one that Hannants had. Hope to pick it up tomorrow.

Obviously I'm looking forwards to ordering a B11 in a few weeks time but if that Dolphin was to materialise ? :o :o :o - now that would present a paradox indeed. Nice thought though :)

Tug

Just a question -- It seems like many Brits write B.II (roman numeral 2) as "B11," Fokker D.VII as D.V11, Spad XIII as Spad X111, etc. Is this the way this is taught in schools there? Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 06:12:40 AM »
I have a question for those of us who purchased the Alb. B.II since they sold out so fast. Did you buy one or two? I only bought one since I'm trying to stay on budget for Christmas. :D

I'm also wondering if the majority of sales went to members of our forum since WnW's method of finding this kit was so hidden. We seemed to inform each other as to how to find it on their site. Or is there another large audience that I'm unaware of.

George

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 06:14:15 AM »
I have a question for those of us who purchased the Alb. B.II since they sold out so fast. Did you buy one or two? I only bought one since I'm trying to stay on budget for Christmas. :D

I'm also wondering if the majority of sales went to members of our forum since WnW's method of finding this kit was so hidden. We seemed to inform each other as to how to find it on their site. Or is there another large audience that I'm unaware of.

George

Me, I ordered one, George.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »
Wingnuts have quite a huge audience worldwide George, word spreads very quickly so with a limited number of kits the 'sold out' message appeared very quickly, they will restock over the next few weeks.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jim

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
I told my wife there was a box coming from New Zealand... just stick it under the tree when it arrives. "I know what comes from New Zealand" was the reply...  ;)

Tell her, "Yes, it is Lucy Lawless."

Jamie

Hehe...does it come with a Gabrielle to complete the set? ;D
Woof!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:08 AM »
to be honest i have long wondered about the possiblity that there are guys "investing" in wnw kits. buying multiples in bulk of kits likely or close to going oop. there is always a few popping up for sale the moment the sell out is announced. if this is the case its really FFF-ed up. someone buying up models theyre not planning on building but flipping for profit may be the reason certain types are selling out so quick. i know of one guy i suspect of this but of course cant proove it ,i just dont buy from him.

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 06:41:27 AM »
to be honest i have long wondered about the possiblity that there are guys "investing" in wnw kits. buying multiples in bulk of kits likely or close to going oop. there is always a few popping up for sale the moment the sell out is announced. if this is the case its really FFF-ed up. someone buying up models theyre not planning on building but flipping for profit may be the reason certain types are selling out so quick. i know of one guy i suspect of this but of course cant proove it ,i just dont buy from him.

Albatros, this is just a small scale model of what is going on in the stock market. And basically speaking, even though I do not like it, I can hardly say it is illegal or so. If there are guys, who are willing to pay multiples of the original price, who can prohibit it? It is a free economy, isn't it?
And the conclusion is, that if you like a particular model WNW released, there is no point in waiting with an order.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 07:29:27 AM »
The Albatros B.II being sold out has no effect on me at all, I have no intentions of buying one nor the DH.9. Like a lot of other people the exchange rate has killed my spending, I am now buying Takom kits from a home grown hobby shop, prices are excellent and shipping next to nothing. I used to be a big fan of Ebay but since all the changes and now with them taking a percentage of the postal charges I deleted my Ebay account, easy to see why it is called 'Evilbay'.

Scott, I have also noticed the decline in Wingnuts OOP kits being sold, I think that if people are buying a lot of each kit purely to make a profit I believe that they are going to get burnt, yes, they are good kits but not worth anywhere near what some people are asking, not even the OOP kits. If someone is extremely desperate for a particular kit they will pay any price, but is would be rare.

I only ever buy one of each kit, I have quite a stash of Wingnut kits at the moments but in time they will all be built, and I will continue to buy Wingnut kits as soon as the exchange rate settles down, the $20 increase in kit prices only covers some of the post so the free post appears to be staying a while longer. It has been said before, if you like a particular kit then buy it while it is available, all of the Wingnut kits past, present and future where marketed as limited run kits, grab them while you can if you can afford them.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »
Most of you hit on some pretty good points. I once bought a 1/35th scale tank that was a limited run ($55 US) that I had full intentions of building "one day", but when the price of said tank started bumping $200 on evil-bay, I put it up for sale, only wishing I'd bought ten of the suckers.  8)  If someone wants to buy ten WNW kits in the hopes they'll make a tidy profit, more power to them. I'd venture to say 99% of the folks that do that will, at most, break even. Witness what happened to that floatplane with crosses, the bottom fell out of the market when they re-released it.

Des, I used to have a blast buying and selling stuff on evil-bay years ago in the late 90's/early 2000's, it was like a giant garage/yard sale, but they got bought, and flat out told all of us "little people" that we weren't welcome there anymore. To He!! with them I say, they can rot.

I have a very modest stash of WNW kits, maybe six, and only one multiple, and that was somewhat of an accident. I've been considering selling them off as 1/32nd is just not my "thing", 1/72nd is. However, I keep thinking in the future I might change my mind. I almost bought one of those Albatros B.II's, what a cool a/c, but truthfully, I'd rather have a DFW or Roland for the same money.

Like Bo, I'd like to know why our UK brethren use "1's" and we use "I's" when noting Roman numerals.

Warren

Offline IvotB

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
George,

Well, I only bought just one. A few hours after I found out it existed. Why? Because it is one of those planes that has been flying with orange markings in the LVA. Just like the D.VII, Brisfit, DH9A, Sopwith Pup and Se 5. There have been 2 Alb. B.II's with orange markings. If you look closer there has also been a Gotha and a Felixstowe, but those are just too big for me.

I would like WnW to release a Fokker D.III, Rumpler C.VIII and of course most of all a Farman HF 20.

Actually I am planning to build this Albatros B.II soon as I like to make this one before everyone else does. Looks like quite a challenge for me with the required weathering and rigging. I'm already wondering how many buckles from what type I need from Bob and some excellent spokes wheels.

I only wish my wife would be like Bo's and just as pleased as I am. Especially when she opens the door to the mail man and has to  pay about 40 euros for handling charges and customs dues first. So much for free shipping   ;D  and the exchange rate between euros and USD seems to be good for our exports, but not for me as a consumer.

regards,
Ivo

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Well, speaking as someone who at one point had to sell some kits for reasons I won't go into, it makes a lot more sense to sell an OOP kit than it does to sell one that is still available. I can honestly say I have never bought a model kit as an investment. At one point, I had most of the WnW kits and had every intention of building them. Trust me, it has been a real downer to have now sold most of them. When I have had to sell them I have used eBay as a price guide and taken the average of the last five kits sold as a selling price. Like it or not, that's what the market was and I saw no reason not to sell the kits for the best price for which I could get them as I felt it was fair to both myself and the buyer. Still, I got "hate mail" from people telling me I was "taking advantage of modelers" and being "greedy".  This sort of attitude reminds me a lot of when I used to help my cousin clean out her horse stalls.