Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII (OAW) and Albatros D.Va -> Jasta Raben  (Read 20720 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII (OAW) and Albatros D.Va -> Jasta Raben
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
Well, after spending time modelling instead of surfing the interwebs, I managed to make some more progress on my Jasta 18 duo...

First of all, let me start with te paint pen. Quite simply put; I'm not convinced yet!
This is the pen on a piece of scrap Aviattic lozenge, straigt from the sheet (as in glossy):

That did show some promise with regard to the with, but the lines are very wobbly because the surface is too glossy.

So, after a coat of matte varnish, a second try:

The lines adhere better, but guiding them is quite troublesome. Unlike a normal pen, the entire tip is filled with paint, so you need your guide set up quite high. Just guiding on a flat piece of paper is hard enough, let alone on a piece of curved wing. The process is too uncontrolled for my taste, and as you can see an even coat of matte is essential -the runs and fallen of pieces are where I didn't get enough mattcoat on.
It is very useful for leading- and trailing edges, but for the ribs themselfs I think I'll stick with decals this time.
By the way, the pen can be scraped off with a fingernail in case of mistakes.

But, on to the next bits of work, which speak pretty much for themself with pictures I suppose:

I misted the shading on the fuselage a bit more with red, as it was too stark for my taste. And boy, does that gloss with this lighting show off my crummy backdating work!  ::)

Then more Aviattic lozenge decals:

Well, that can cure now so I can snip it to size and add the ribtapes.
I had a bit of a mishap with the underside of the Fokker top wing, as I recycled tape for masking the underside off (which I do almost every time for years!), somehow some well-dried red paint adhered to the white, forcing a partial respray.
Might re-do the entire surface, as the partial respray isn't quite nice.

Jeroen

WarrenD

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »
Still looking great friend. You're making great progress.

Warren

Offline radio

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 05:49:31 AM »
Wonderful progress Jeroen.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
You are progress beautifully Jeroen, this is shaping up to be a really nice model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Richard, Warren, Martin and Des! :)

Also thanks for the suggestion, Richard -who would have guessed you can use liquid glue to melt decals!

================
I tried 3 methods on a piece of scrap model with leftover bits of decal, and here are my findings:

1) Daco medium: not really suited for edges, but after poking a little hole it's great for getting rid of bubbles or getting the decals to confirm just that little better around e.g. access panels on Albatros wings.

2)Mr Mark Softer: will melt Hasegawa decals to goo -great stuff if used in small quantities. And it is also great stuff for getting the edges around the leading and trailing edges without damaging the paintwork. But if you let it puddle, it'll attack the colours, just as it does on Hasegawa/Tamiya decals.

3) Tamiya Extra Thin: really, really hot stuff that I would only advise as a last resort. Can damage the paint and colours of decals, even in small amounts. However, great stuff for getting that little edge to fold, or that very persistent wrinkle.

As a side note, it appears after "setting" the edges with Mr Mark, they get more brittle and appear easier to cut with a new knife blade.
I've just finished melting them with Mr Mark, so I'll report back (hopefully later this week) on how it all went. :)

Jeroen

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:47 PM »
That's some great work you're doing there and thank you for the advice re the lozenges.  Much appreciated
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2016, 09:39:09 PM »
Thanks Toby! Glad the info was helpful :)

I managed to cut the lozenge decals mostly quite well, especially the trailing edges. For the leading edges, especially the on the thick Fokker wings, I would follow Richard's advice and put them in the right spot so they don't need to be trimmed. I scraped a bit of paint off there so will have to touch up a bit with red.

I've found cutting the blue rib tapes from my Wingnuts Fokker DVII kit in half to look quite good, so currently doing that (rather boring) job. At least they're of much better quality than the Techmod ribtapes I previously used.

Hopefully a proper update soon...

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2016, 07:46:11 PM »
Still not much of an update, but I'm still working on my models. There jus isn't quite a lot to show on doing Lozenge and rib-tapes!

Re-painted the underside of the Fokker wing entirely, including masking and painting the shading for a second time due to the tape mishap I posted about earlier.
Rib tapes are from a Wingnut Wings Fokker DVII sliced in half, they are Cartograf printed so work much better than those old Techmod ones. These were also too wide, but so brittle slicing them proved impossible...

Hopefully I finish the Fokker wing this evening, then glosscoat all of it and get on with the rest of the rib tapes and other decals.

Jeroen

Online RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2016, 12:29:14 AM »
Progress is progress whether a large amount or small! Looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline vincentm

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
Very clean work, and subtle shading effects. Looks like they're going to be eye-candy to say the least...

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 06:08:48 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Richard, RAGIII and Vincent! :)

Through this forum I got a batch of MAC DVIIs which, when I get to them, will get the pre-sized treatment. The schemes I intend are wings-only, so they would be perfect for that, and I still have the remnants of these sheets for the interiour decals and stuff like wheels and such. Although I have to admit I find applying the decals and rib-tapes a rather relaxing job -which is odd, as decalling is one of my least favourite modelling activities!

Had to help a friend move to a new house on saturday and since it was cold but sunny weather here I went outdoors with my son, so not much progress at the moment ;-)

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »
Finally managed to get the glosscoat on and some decals! :)

Some of the green edging on the Fokker will need a bit of touch-up, but otherwise going quite smoothly, which is most unusual for me! :)

Hopefully in the next days some time to browse all the other great build threads!

Jeroen

Online IanB

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »
They're looking great, they'll certainly put a little colour on your display shelf!

Ian

Online RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
Very nice schemes! They look excellent and like Ian said very colorful with the decals on!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline vincentm

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
Beautiful paintschemes. Your D-Va wears exactly the same as mine: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5914.msg108082#msg108082

I read somewhere that this machine was part of an OAW-built batch, so I used blue ribtapes. D'you any further info about that?