Author Topic: Vallejo safe clear coat questions?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Chuckt5

Vallejo safe clear coat questions?
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
Hello there.

I brushed some Vallejo thinned with 50% distilled water/25% flow aid/25% extender onto a 32nd scale Instrument panel and it all went on nice and smooth (without drying on the brush) which allowing for good control. One thing I wasn't expecting though was it ended up drying a bit too glossy for my liking. I'm thinking the flow aid/extender affected the sheen of the Vallejo, giving it a gloss finish. My questions are:

What clear gloss is ok over Vallejo if applied by airbrush?

How long should I let the brush painted Vallejo dry before I airbrush a gloss coat over top?

I plan on letting the Vallejo dry overnight, airbrushing on a clear gloss, applying decals, then finishing up with a clear flat.

Does this all sound ok? Any other comments?

Thanks, Chuck.

Offline Chuckt5

Re: Vallejo safe clear coat questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »
Thats what I was thinking.

I guess I need to get myself over to the local hobby shop and get some clear ASAP!

Thanks, C.

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »
Will do.

I painted up an old cockpit using Vallejo with the same distilled water/flow aid/retarder mix as used on the original panel in question and it has also dried with the same glossy finish. I'm going to let it dry, then do some trials with various clears to see what happens and if they react with the Vallejo.

I'm pretty sure Vallejo's clear would go over top without any problems, so my trails will be with future then dullcoat to see how that all turns out. I want to try that first because thats what I have on hand and I can't get out to the hobby shop for a few days. I posted this same issue on a couple of other websites and some have reported no problems with future being sprayed over Vallejo.

Stand by for an update when I have something to share.

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 07:35:12 AM »
After a bunch of reading and various trials to confirm what I read, it seems the issue was with my Vallejo paint not being fully mixed.

I rigged up a heavy duty paint mixer using a small bar clamp modified to fit into my jig saw. I placed the clamp in the jig saw, turned the speed down to 2 and placed the paint bottle into the clamps jaws. After a full minute of vigorous shaking, then thinning the paint with the same distiller water/flow aid/extender as used before, the paint came out perfectly! Very smooth with a satin finish as advertised.  ;D

p.s. I tried both Tamiya clear sprays and Future over the cured, brush painted Vallejo and everything came out fine.