Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe - Major W. Barker  (Read 1710 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW Sopwith Snipe - Major W. Barker
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »
   Here's my Build of Canadian Victoria Cross winner William Barker's Sopwith Snipe as flown on his final combat mission of 27 Oct. 1918. Other then a poor fit (Builder's fault!) of the upper engine cowling/"turtle deck" I'm happy with the results. I chose a heavily weathered finish based on examination of the photos available and close up inspection of the preserved fuselage at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa a few weeks back. Although partially repainted since being transported to Canada in 1919 (upper metal cowls done in O.D. or PC10) the rear of the fuselage appeared to my eye to be original finish, very worn, and the markings very crudely applied.
   Here's a dozen or so photos of the completed model.

It's your standard spectacular Kit from Wingnut Wings. Other then a challenge completing the rigging of the cross bracing for the Main Struts and the bracing wires connected from the wings to the landing gear struts and some self generated problems fitting the Bentley into the engine cowling it went together very well. As is usually the case I'd like to do another now that I've made all the possible errors on this one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe - Major W. Barker
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 01:57:38 AM »
Wow, Lance! Incredible job on your Snipe! Your choice of colors for your PC10 and CDL, and your weathering are spot on! It looks likes it's had some use in the field but it's not overdone. I'll be studying your build when I build my Snipe, or any PC10/CDL plane.

George

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 02:10:11 AM »
Magnificent, Lance. Should I get to do a Snipe, yours will be a build to guide me.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:28 AM »
Thanks Nigel and George. The CDL is Aviattic's white backing RAF/RFC CDL, the PC 10 a 50/50 mix of Model Master Enamels Olive Drab and Faded Olive Drab.
Cheers,
Lance

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:36:23 AM »
Bravo, Lance! Really a delight to view! I especially like the cowling wear and the underside.....as George said, just right! It looks plausibly well used.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:56:14 AM »
Bravo, Lance! Really a delight to view! I especially like the cowling wear and the underside.....as George said, just right! It looks plausibly well used.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael
Couldn't have said it better myself, Lance!  Simply stunning!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:04 AM »
Excellent Snipe, Lance.  ;)
You may of just inspired my next WNW project. Well done!

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:19:52 AM »
Michael, Bud, and Bob,
    So nice to get your positive comments, much appreciated. She does have a few "warts" however I hid most with selective photography! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 04:42:03 AM »
...however I hid most with selective photography! ;)

My own personal favorite!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 05:59:38 AM »
Very fine! I like the cowlings and the underside most, like others. Congratulations, Lance.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 06:23:49 AM »
   Coming from our Master of fine detail I really appreciate your comments, PRZE. Thanks for the positive inputs.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »
An absolutely stunning build Lance, the overall finish on this model is superb with excellent weathering, and the rigging is brilliant, congratulations and thank you for displaying to us a spectacular looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
Thank you for the kind words, Des and Richard. The white backed CDL made a big difference, Richard, Thanks for a great product!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 08:11:27 AM »
Not Much that I can add except yet another VERY WELL DONE ! I love the wear on the undersurface and the overall finish. Excellent PC 10 and CDL colors!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

Beautiful
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
Hey Lance - awesome job! I especially like the cracked paint work on the cowl and lower metal surfaces. The paint work on the fuselage really makes the detail stand out. You're right about what a gem of a kit it is. It was one of my favourite builds. Nice to see your work as always.
Cheers,
Gary