Author Topic: Have a little time?  (Read 938 times)

Offline tankbear

Have a little time?
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. I ran across the article below and thought some of the members here might find the project interesting, even if not directly related to the aircraft we model.

Enjoy,
Bob

Project War Diary

When it comes to re-creating the past, an important key is personal accounts of historical events. These accounts paint a larger, more detailed picture of the past. Luckily, the National Archives in the United Kingdom has a lot of firsthand accounts of one of the biggest events of the 20th century: World War I. They have thousands of war diaries from men on the ground who kept the diaries to keep track of operations and to gather information that would improve the war effort. They are an amazing insight into day-to-day life on the front line.

To bring these documents into the digital age, all 1.5 million pages were scanned in early 2014, and Operation War Diary was launched. The project allows users to go to the website and transcribe the war diaries. To help people out, the system looks at the date and place where the diary entry was written and then gives the helpful background data to the user. In some cases, it even gives the back story of the unit, including how many casualties they’d endured.

Besides just digitizing these incredibly unique documents, the project also takes advantage of tags and metadata to create a mosaic of what life was like on the front line.

The link to the project is.... http://www.operationwardiary.org/#/about
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
---Douglas Adams

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
------Douglas Adams

Michael Scarborough

Re: Have a little time?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
Man, that is some project!!