Author Topic: Scratch build 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911.  (Read 2184 times)

Offline lone modeller

Scratch build 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911.
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:55:47 AM »
Evening All,

Here are some more images of the completed model. A full build log is in the scratch build section.

In 1911 the aircraft designer and manufacturer A. V. Roe abandoned his earlier triplane design and instead started to build a biplane, the first of which flew for the first time on 1 April of that year. This was a two seat aircraft with a 35hp Green engine and a triangular tail, but the latter was quickly replaced with a square unit. The remainder of the machine was built following the same techniques as the earlier triplanes with a triangular shaped fuselage with only the front covered in fabric, and the radiator mounted in front of the pilot and obscuring his view rather badly.

Wing warping was used to control the aircraft which was relatively stable and easy to fly. The first machine took part in the Brooklands - Shoreham air race of 6 May 1911.

In June naval Commander Schwann bought the machine and had it transported to Barrow-in-Furness where he had the wheels removed and the skids mounted on floats. Following a series of trials on different designs of floats the aircraft unexpectedly lifted off the water to make the first take off from sea-water of any aircraft in Britain.

Five other machines were built in late 1911 and early 1912 with small variations in the basic design, including sesquiplane wings, different engines and repositioning of the radiator to improve the view of the pilot. The sixth machine was a single seater.

It is not known exactly how many type D biplanes were built at A. V. Roe's works at Manchester, but the second machine and two others were used in 1913 at the Avro Flying School at Shoreham. The records indicate that the machines were scrapped in early 1914.

This design was used by Roe and his design engineers to learn a great deal about aerodynamic stability, control, construction and much else. The Green engine was very good for its time, especially with reference to reliability, but the Type D was, like most of its contemporaries, underpowered. Nevertheless Roe and his team were able to use their experience to help them to design and build what was to become one of the first legends in aviation history - the Avro 504.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:04:57 AM by lone modeller »

Offline radio

Re: Scratch build 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »
Stephen that is an exellent build.
Wait for your next.
Cheers
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:34:49 AM »
Magnificent, Stephen!  When you first started this project,  I hauled out my old Pyro/Inpact kit and mentally made the modifications that would bring it up to the level of your project.  In 1/48 scale, it'll be a challenging build.  Even more so in 1/72 scale.  Truly impressive work, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 07:46:51 AM »
Very nicely done indeed, and a subject not often seen!

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:51 AM »
You have done a tremendous job with this scratch build Stephen, and doing it in 1:72 scale makes it even more impressive. It is a really nice looking model finished off beautifully and the rigging is superb, congratulations on producing another masterpiece.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »
Brilliant Scratch building Stephen!  As always I enjoyed following your processes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »
Stephen,
    Magnificent Build, what a fine finish! I marvel at the detail and impressive results you produce in 1;72 Scale. Truly great work, congratulations on another stunning addition to your stable.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
Truly amazing work, Stephen.  You are a master of
scratch-building with the talent to do it in such a
small scale!  Great job, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ondra

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 12:59:13 AM »
My hats off to your scratchbuilding skills, excellent work with amazing result!

Salute! ;)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 03:01:22 AM »
My thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left such complimentary remarks. They are much appreciated.

Stephen.

Offline Brez

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 06:07:42 AM »
 I'm always in awe of scratchbuilds, especially of this quality and in 1/72nd too!
Makes me want to dust off my old Impact kit.
Very well done,
cheers,
Tony.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
an awesome model Stephen
bravo!

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »
It must so rewarding to have created this pleasing aeroplane in 1/72.a very big BRAVO sir!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:50 AM »
Congratulations, Stephen, on finishing yet one more of your great scratch-built unusual subjects. Very nice!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:55:59 AM »
Thank you Tony, Ermio, Thumbs Up and Przemol for the very kind remarks. I really appreciate the positive comments that other people make about my models.

Stephen