Author Topic: Tommy's War Sergeant Pilot, 4 Sqn RFC, Belgium 1915  (Read 1775 times)

Offline FarEast

Tommy's War Sergeant Pilot, 4 Sqn RFC, Belgium 1915
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »
PHOTOS TO COME!

I really love the Tommy's War figures and decided that this figure would be a fantastic addition for my DH.2, obviously the pilot would need to be from the 24th Sqn to be a DH.2 pilot for the period but really as I do not think he is based on an actual real person we can have a bit of artistic license when it comes to diorama.

Some information on the model from Tommy's War;

"Tommy’s War is a range of British and Empire figures modeled on the First World War.

Figure 18 of the Tommy’s War range is the second in the series to depict the newly formed Royal Flying Corps (the first is figure TW54017 and features a pilot in dress uniform) Wearing a 1913 pattern short leather flying coat this figure is suitable for any RFC pilot of World War One and each figure is supplied with a separate flying helmet which can be placed with the figure or nearby. The figure has been sculpted by Nino Pizzichemi and the box artwork is by Gunther Sternberg.

The figure is 54mm in height (1/32 scale) and is supplied unpainted, the kit requires assembly and is not suitable for children under the age of 12."

I actually got him with 3 other figures to create a scenario called "First blood", "The tall story" or "The one that got away" to tell the story of an excited pilot telling his story upon his return to the aerodrome.

Now these figures really are beautiful, they are full of features and expression that stands out even on a 1:32 scale figure.

I started with the head as I wanted to try out a new technique that was shared by another modeller looking to branch out in to painting figures, it's also probably the part that makes or breaks a miniature. Getting the scary part out of the way would give me a confidence boost on the rest of the figure.

Now I used a mish-mash of techniques to get the finish.

First I gave the whole head a base coat of Vallejo Black Primer, once this was dry I then gave it a thinner coat of Vallejo Grey Primer and lastly a thin coat of Vallejo Air White.

This techniques builds shadow on the contours of the face and gives a nice affect later on.

Next I gave the face a very thin coat of Vallejo Flat flesh, once this was dry another coat was applied - the trick was to build the layers to the point where the black is no longer black but a very dark flesh tone.

Once the layers have dried I then used a then coat of MIG Ammo weathering effect Russ Streaks. This really gives a great flesh tone wash to the figure - you can also use the Vallejo Flesh Tones Wash to give a different shade to the skin if using the same techniques.

Next up was the hair, I used a base of burnt umber oil paint and once dried used Mr. Weathering Ground Brown and Mixed Black to add texture and depth. This was streaked across the hair to create dark roots and then fairer ends. The eye brow I used the same base but only the Ground Brown with a little dry bushing of a lighter burnt umber oil.

Finally once all the colours had dried I then used Tamiya Weathering Master powders G and H to blend in the colours and also add highlights to areas.

So this is where I am so far.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:25:04 AM by FarEast »

Offline stefanbuss

Re: Tommy's War Sergeant Pilot, 4 Sqn RFC, Belgium 1915
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »
I love that pose.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Lovely work on the facial tones. I am really intrigued by some of the "Newer" methods using acrylics and appreciate your description of your work thus far!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
Excellent job with the face painting James and the body pose is excellent. Figure painting is something that I have never mastered so I will be watching on to pick up some tips.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FarEast

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
The next step was the flying jacket, I used 'Yellow Ochre' as the base colour mixed with some white spirit and the must have 'Uschi van de Rosten' Blitz dry that allows the oils to dry in a matter of hours rather than days.

Once this had dried I gave the whole jacket a wash with very thinned 'Burnt Umber' and again left to dry.

Now leather jackets are made from skin, these are not uniform in colour, texture and they reflect light, especially if they have had some wear. So to create this effect I again broke out the Mr. Weathering colours. these were applied in various places.

Once dried I painted in the wool liner with Tamiya Deck tan.

I popped the head on just to see how he would look.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:32 AM »
  James,
Outstanding my friend. Truly a work of Art.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »
Great colours on the jacket, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com