Author Topic: A different medium....  (Read 2612 times)

Michael Scarborough

A different medium....
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »
I've decided to put styrene wings away for a while and do some figure painting. After all, all of my builds are supposed to develop into dioramas, especially the RNAS Pup.....so, time to get the brushes out and get back into the swing of it.

For starters, I will pick up where I left off on this French Dragoon with the 1000 Yard Stare. I see now that there is more than can be done to further develop him, particularly the uniform. Mike Blank gave me grief about using actual gold leaf to represent the polished brass of the helmet so I will attend to that....after the damn dust is blown off!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: A different medium....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
Very nice, Michael.  You've nailed the 5 o'clock shadow- I always have trouble with them.  Did you use a darkish grey (eg Payne's grey) or a an ivory black?

19th REGT?  21st?  Who does that bust, I don't remember seeing it before?

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
Wow, Michael!
   I see why you are a successful  and established Artist by trade. You've created a lifelike quality that is astounding IMHO. What scale is it? The facial detail is quite incredible.
Cheers,
Lance

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks, Dal. Much appreciated.

This guy has been in mothballs for so long I am not sure. Pretty sure it was Ivory Black but with a bit of Prussian Blue.

I'm also embarrassed to say I don't remember the regiment! Let me check my Angus McBride and I will let you know. It was an Andrea 1/10 scale bust....part of the series of Napoleonic Frenchmen; the dragoon, a lancer, a grenadier and an hussar. I guess they came out about 10 years ago but are still on their website: http://www.andreadepotusa.com/es/1/miniaturas-andrea/109/coleccion-de-bustos.html?p=2

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
You caught me in mid post, Lance. Many thanks!

This is a 1/10 scale bust from Andrea. It's really well sculpted which makes all the difference in ones ability to paint it. I plan to work on a few more in this scale, then drop down to 90mm, then get back to 54mm/1:35/1:32 for the Pup diorama. The details in that scale are pretty minute so maybe working down in decreasing size will build the confidence level.

I'm enjoying the Snipe!

Cheers,
Michael

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »
 Michael,
Now that's outstanding piece of artwork my friend. You have an amazing talent and painting skills.I'm most impressed with the five o'clock shadow and the Leopard skin covered helmet,just awesome. All and all he's a fitting tribute to your artistic skill. Sometime I'd love to see a how to thread from you on your figure painting techniques. That would of great interest to your lesser skilled forum mates like myself.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »
Very nice job.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
Nice paint, Michael-Angelo!

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
let me get my jaw, it dropped on the floor and I kicked while trying to sit down ;)

The stare is perfect, the shadow of the cap and the 5 OÇlock under the chin are very lifelike! Wonderfull

Think globally, act locally!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »
Nice paint, Michael-Angelo!

You beat me to it, George!  ;D

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 08:31:40 PM »
Beautiful work, Michael.

Best wishes
Nigel

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:08 AM »
You gentleman are far too kind but your comments are sincerely appreciated. I am fired up to get back to some figures....I really do want to complete the RNAS Pup diorama and the "everyone's gone to the moon" look just isn't plausible.

Gregory, regardless of subject, I am a firm believer in using pictures of the real object to work from. I used this one for the leopard skin:

(God Bless the 60s but don't tell PETA!)

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:06 AM »
Michael,
Lovely work on the bust! In particular I am impressed with the 5 O'clock shadow! Do you recall your method for this effect?
RAgIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 02:50:39 AM »
Spectacular!  But then this is really your forte.  Your figure sculpting and painting always blows me away.  You should post some of your older stuff here, as well, like the samurai, the joust and the archers.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 03:11:50 AM »
Well, I really am blown away by all this feedback. It is sincerely appreciated and comes at a very good time. Off and on, I have had a hand in model building in one form or another, professionally or in an amateur capacity, for over 50 years. Having to step back from 3 aircraft builds in a row has been not just a little frustrating. So thank you, comrades.

Bud, despite what Carol says about you, you are too kind. None of those other projects is really finished...despite the fact that the White Company archers box diorama was already exhibited at the Delaware Art Museum! Hah! Talk about a perfectionist.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael