Author Topic: Air brush and brush cleaner choice  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Malteser

Air brush and brush cleaner choice
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »
As a newby I'm climbing a steep learning curve!

I'm struggling to clean my airbrush and paintbrushes thoroughly - I use a variety of makes of paint, Tamiya, Vallejo and Mr Hobby.

Is there a good universal cleaner or do I need to buy each matching branded cleaner?

Thank you, Suzanne

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Air brush and brush cleaner choice
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
Lacqer thinner cuts everything and works as a thinner for most, Suzanne.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »
I don't use Tamiya or Vallejo paints but all my other paints clean very well with lacquer thinners, I know it's nasty stuff but it does a brilliant job on cleaning my air brush and brushes, it is important to wear a chemical respirator when using lacquer thinners not just for cleaning but if used as a thinner in your paints. I can pick up a 4L tin of general purpose lacquer thinners from my local hardware for around $40AUD and it lasts for ages.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FarEast

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
Do not use any other cleaner except Vallejo Cleaners with Vallejo paints! Tamiya thinner turns Vallejo products too goop and will clog up your airbrush and kill your brushes!

However you can use Vallejo with Tamiya products.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
Can't comment on Vallejo specifically but cloudy ammonia cleans Gunze,Tamiya and Misterkit satisfactorily from my airbrushes so would probably work on any acrylic.I usually just clean paintbrushes in whatever thinner I am using with the paint at the time.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »
I experienced it on the weekend after forgetting I had used Vallejo paint in my brush - It took me a good 30 minutes to clean it all out. (It's the second time I've done that)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »
I use Tamiya and Gunze paints. I clean the gun with this...
Cleans 'n shines  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »
Do not use any other cleaner except Vallejo Cleaners with Vallejo paints! Tamiya thinner turns Vallejo products too goop and will clog up your airbrush and kill your brushes!

However you can use Vallejo with Tamiya products.

+1, Tamiya and Gunze thinners turns Valejo paints into gluelike substance that is hard to very hard for cleaning!

Otherwise I use water for Valejo paints (thinning) and Alcohol 95% for cleaning. For Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics I use again pure alcohol, it doesn't smell that bad, is not that toxic and is very easy to work with.
For any non-acrilyc paint or compound I use Mr. Tool Cleaner from Gunze, this thing is lacquer cleaner, smells nasty and toxic and as Des has said use a respirator.

For thinning Gunze and Tamiya acricics I use Mr. levelling Thinner (airbrush) or water (brush). Please note that Mr. levelling thinner is for lacquers, but works wonders on acrylics also - just a tiny drop will make the paint way more smoother ;) Not usable with brush as it is too strong and the brush strokes dilute the layers bellow and ruin the paint work. Thats why I use water wher brush painting

I hope this helps,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »
For Tamiya and Gunze Acrylics you can use Mr Color Levelling Thinner (which has retarder added to help the paint flow out) or any lacquer thinner. These two companies acrylic paints are solvent based that's why the lacquer thinner will work. DO NOT use lacquer thinner for Humbrol, Testors, Polly S or Vallejo paints. These acrylics are water based so you need to use just clean water or alcohol to thin them.

I use regular hardware store lacquer thinner to clean my airbrush after I'm finished for the solvent based acrylics or any enamel I use. It's much cheaper than the model companies lines from Gunze and Tamiya. For the water based acrylics I use an all purpose household cleaner like "Fantastic"and flush it with water in the sink. A old toothbrush and pipe cleaners can be used to get to the small nooks & crannies.

Offline Malteser

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:27:17 AM »
Thank you all very much for your great replies  :D

I have learn such a lot; very helpful indeed - and I have also found out about yet more things to buy!!

Suzanne

Offline drdave

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 03:27:25 AM »
I use the Mr colour thinners too. I have that airbrush cleaner spray can too,which is really volatile polyethylene alcohols which clears everything out, but dissolves models on contact if you spill any.