Author Topic: A question about Camel cowlings...  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Scaley

A question about Camel cowlings...
« on: August 19, 2015, 10:49:19 PM »
Hi all,

I have the Academy 1/32 Camel which I have realised is the Clerget version. The specific aircraft that I want to model has a Le Rhone engine.

I have an aftermarket Le Rhone on order and after looking through references I see that the two engines have slightly different diameters and the two aircraft types have slightly different lengths. There also seems to be additional openings on the Le Rhone cowling ?

Did the two types use the same prop?

Any advice/information greatly appreciated  :)

Cheers, Del

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: A question about Camel cowlings...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
i am not sure off the top of my head but its likely they used different props. depending on which company manufactured the camel and which engine the prop would surely be different. but i am not proficient enuff on brit craft so i dont know specifics only that this was a common thing in those days.

Offline Scaley

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply Albatros, I have a couple of reference books on order so hopefully the answers will be there.

Offline PiotrM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »
Hi
The engine cowling and propellers for Clerget and Le Rohne should be different - See pictures at sources
BR,
Piotr

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:37:40 AM »
Hi Del, I've been poring over the plans in the Camel File and I can see little difference between the dimensions of the cowlings on Clerget and Le Rhone aircraft.
It is a little confusing as the plans of the F1/3 prototype specifically refers to a Le Rhone cowling, but it looks the same sizewise to me.
Certainly the ring in the front of the Clerget cowlings is larger and more pronounced and many Clerget machines had a small plate just below and between the gun muzzles to remind ground crew about setting the earlier interrupter gear. Le Rhone Camels had the CC gear and no plate was required.
Also some Le Rhone machines had extra cooling slots in the bottom port side of cowling due to the different valve timing.
(The 150hp AR1 Admiralty (Bentley design) engines had tapered cowlings and gun fairings similar to the Snipe.)
I think propellors would vary according to what was available, but if you go for a flat ended blade for a Clerget and a curvy blade for a Le Rhone I don't think you'd be far wrong.
If you let me know the serial number of the subject you are contemplating, I can let you know what the File says about it.
HTH Sandy

Offline Scaley

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:07:26 AM »
Hello Sandy, thanks for that. I've been looking into it further and as you say it's difficult to see much difference apart from the obvious cooling slots. I will check the radius of the cowling front ring though.

The aircraft I plan to model is F6032 flown by Capt. Will Hubbard, 3 Sqdn.  According to some lists I found online it was a rebuild of D6671

Thanks for your help, Del

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
Hi Del

Ray Sturtivant's Camel File confirms that D6671 (Le Rhone 9J) was taken off charge 24/7/18 after what appears to be a history of fairly unreliable service. (It had been found unfit to proceed from the Aeroplane Acceptance Park at Lympne on 4/5/18). Then to the Reception Park 7/5/18 and no 1 Issues Section by 14/5/18. Issued to 46Sqdn 16/5/18. Crashed on Landing on return from operational patrol 1/7/18 when flown by Lt LS Skevington (unhurt). Back to Repair Park 1, Aeroplane Supply Depot 3/7/18 and Struck Off Charge 24/7/18 when it was Rebuilt as F6032.

F6032 was Taken on Charge 24/7/18 and from Reception Park to Issues Section 2 23/8/18. To 3 Sqdn (coded "R") 28/8/18 where it appears to have been a much more successful machine. Flown by Lt (later Capt.) WH Hubbard DFC who recorded a yellow Fokker DVII with black stripes on tail and upper wings crashed at map ref 10.10 on 4/9/18, an Albatros C in flames  at Peronne 12.05 on 5/9/18 and another DVII out of control at map ref 10.05 on 29/10/18.
Unfortunately on 31/10/18 it experienced an Engine Failure and a Forced Landing near Cambrai when flown by 2Lt CE James who took off again but missed his aerodrome in darkness and mist and crashed, pilot unhurt. D6032 was Struck Off Charge in the field.

Hope there might be something in there that adds to the info you've already got.

The whole File is quite fascinating in showing the complex movements of aircraft from manufacture to supply parks to squadrons to repair sections and back again. We all think of active squadron service but there was obviously a huge admin job in handling the planes themselves.
HTH
Sandy

Offline Scaley

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies Sandy and Piotr, much appreciated.

Del