Author Topic: San Jose State University First War in the Air Seminar (September 19, 2015)  (Read 1836 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Well, my friends, looks like I've been place in charge of putting together a model display and contest and manning the Over the Front Table for this event.  I'm still not sure of the particulars (food, exact time and cost), but it promises to be a fantastic event, geared toward promoting Over the Front membership.  So, whether you're a member or not, you are all invited to bring your finest models for the contest, which will have some amazing prizes (can't say what, just yet  :-X). We will also be giving away free back issues of OTF to anyone interested in joining the League.  As soon as I know more, I will post the information here.
Hope to see many of you there.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

Good luck with this, Bud. It sounds a really interesting event.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Nigel.  I wish everyone on the forum could make it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Congratulations Bud on being selected to organise the model display and contest, I hope it all goes extremely well for you.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thank you, Des.  I was actually the first of the many people who were asked to take on this task that didn't decline.  Probably because I didn't have the heart to say "no" after so many turned it down.  Still, I know we'll have fun.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Good on you Bud for standing up and sating yes, it is very hard to find willing volunteers these days.

When I used to have my hobby shop I often ran model competitions to promote my shop and the stock I sold, it is not an easy job organising the competition and allocating space to display the models, also keeping a track of who owned what and then judging the models and awarding prizes, it is all very time consuming but for me it was very rewarding.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

Congrats Bud. I wish I could make it!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Thanks, Rick.  Wish you could make it, too, then all 3 amigos would be in attendance.  And thanks again, Des.
Here's what I have, so far, on the seminar.  It will be a one day event, kind of a mini OTF seminar.
Saturday, September 19

7 AM to 9:30 AM
SET UP. Student Union Ballroom open. Loading dock and service elevator available.

9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Ballroom exhibits open to public.

5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
BREAK DOWN. Clear and clean Ballroom.

There is a food court downstairs under the Ballroom and we are trying to get a food vendor in the exhibit hall as well. The exhibit hall is open through lunch, so vendors will need to get lunch, drinks and snacks as best they can.

MODEL CONTEST
Categories will be dependent on participant response.

ADMISSION
Free to the public to attend the seminars (see below) and visit the exhibit hall.

SEMINARS
There will be four seminars in the Student Union theater which is connected to the same building as the Ballroom but a short distance away.

11 AM Jack Herris: Creation of a Legend—Genesis of Fighter Aviation in World War One
12 Noon LUNCH BREAK
1:30 PM Jack Tunstall: Warfare on the Eastern Front—Ground and Air
2:30 PM Jim Davilla: Back to the Future—How the Great War's Air War Influenced Today's Aviation
3:30 PM Steve Suddaby: Unfulfilled Nightmares of World War One Aerial Bombing

Seminars are free with open seating, but attendees must register online to get a ticket. Walk ins that day will be very limited.
There will be also be RESERVED seating in the first three rows of the theater for $15 per ticket.

The FirstAirWar.org website will go live later this week.

Please let me know if you wish to attend and what type and scale models you will be bringing.  Also, dioramas are welcome and encouraged and a separate category will be instated if there is enough interest.
Hope to see you all there!
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:20:09 AM by coyotemagic »

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Here are a couple more links with even more information:
http://firstairwar.org/
http://ww1ha.org/
Cheers,
Bud