Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe - Major W. Barker  (Read 22175 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe - Major W. Barker
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:13:36 AM »
   This project, inspired by Ernie and Patrick's Mini Group Builds recently, will be my half of a similar effort with fellow Member Chris Johnson. I'll be doing the early version while Chris will complete the Late version using his own Build Log. Both subjects are Canadian Aircraft, mine being Canadian Major Billy Barker's Victoria Cross Airframe E 8102 and Chris's being Airframe E 8213, a 1a Snipe Version presented to Canada by the City of Leicester at Hendon, UK, in 1919.
   We'll start with the standard opening illustration, the Wingnut Wings Kit:

References for this Build will be as shown, and the After market additions will include a Taurus Pulsometer, HGW Seat Belts, Vickers Hyland Type B Guns from GasPatch Models, and of course Rowan's excellent Pheon Decal Sheet #32044. I'll also be using Aviattics CDL Decals for the undersurfaces.

Here, for illustration purposes only, is E8102's Profile per the Pheon Illustration:

I started the Build with the Instrument Panel, the cockpit proper to follow. The panel had the Feed Tank glass and copper gauge system removed and replaced by clear sprue and copper painted sprue. Aero Club and Eduard Instrument Bezels were added as well and Future "lenses" added to the Instrument faces. here's the bare panel.......

the completed panel with the standard LCarroll Workbench dog fuzz in place.........

and the slightly cleaned up final version......

I forgot to include the Barracuda wicker seat in the list of A/M additions, an absolute little jewel of a product. This is the low back version...

I've been working on the cockpit module and fuselage sides as well, they are nearly complete and the internal bracing and assembly of the module comes next.

So far a wonderful Kit, the standard always anticipated and provided by WNW. I'm looking forward to this Build and Chris's as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe - Major W. Barker
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »
Excellent choice and glorious start, Lance!  After my W.12, a 1/48 scale Snipe in Barker's markings is next on my to do list.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:24:12 AM »
This will be fun to follow, Lance, both yours and Chris's!  Now I
will find out how to do it properly!  You are off to a terrific
start with the Cockpit woodgrain, seat colour, other interior wee bits and the
instrument panel...the pulseometer and sight-glass are beautifully done as are the instruments as well. I like the scale pooch hair...I am sure
Major Barker was a dog lover as well. ;) ;D  Terrific work, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline radio

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:08:12 AM »
Perfect beginning Lance.
Martin

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
Wow! This is looking great and so soon into the build too. I really, and I mean really like how you removed the feed tank glass and copper gauge system and replaced it all with clear sprue and copper painted sprue. It looks so much better than what WnW provides. I wonder why I didn't think of that?

This will be fun to follow, Lance . . . Now I will find out how to do it properly

Cheers,
Ernie :)

No kidding Ernie. I know I'm in way over my head already after seeing his instrument panel. I told Lance that I want to use my build to iron out the wrinkles before tackling Barker's Snipe but I think I can just sit back and learn from the master by following his thread.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »
Lance,
A stunning beginning to your Snipe! Like the others I am ampressed by the fuel guage/wire and the instrument panel overall. Your interior wood work s awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:05:51 AM »
An excellent start Lance, the instrument panel changes are brilliant and the interior wood work looks superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
You're off to a fine start, Lance  ;)
I know you will make a beauty of a Snipe and no mistake.

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
   Many Thanks, all, for your encouraging comments, they really are appreciated. "Will" Barker, along with "Billy" Bishop was a great hero of mine as a young Canadian school boy; I never lost the fascination and great awe I held for the man who was, and still is, Canada's most decorated war hero. Although he flew the Snipe only briefly his epic VC Battle, witnessed by so many, was undoubtedly the aircraft's most famous event. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the preserved fuselage of E8102 at the Canadian War Museum this Summer, it hasn't been on display on my previous visits. Likewise, I'm re-reading his biography, "William Barker VC" by Wayne Ralph as I work on this Build.
Cheers,
Lance

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »
Looking good, Lance! I think it is grand that you boys are both doing Canadian planes....and such famous ones. And I am glad someone is working on a Snipe...neat looking aircraft!!

Now Chris, put down that tank and get to work!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
Brilliant work so far, Lance, that panel is beautiful.

One question, now that you have that lovely seat: how does one access the fuel tank? Or did this example not have it under the seat?
Zac in NZ

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
As i have the Snipe at home as well (hidden somewhere in the stash), I will be following with interest.

S.

Offline jknaus

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 01:25:03 AM »
Looks awesome Lance. Especially like the seat. Just a gorgeous build.
James

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 01:44:22 AM »
Brilliant work so far, Lance, that panel is beautiful.

One question, now that you have that lovely seat: how does one access the fuel tank? Or did this example not have it under the seat?
Michael, Stefan and James,
    Thanks for taking a look and for your welcome comments.

Zac,
    The Kit seat comes in two parts, the frame and base with the cushion molded to the base and the wicker surround as the second piece. I trimmed the base down to place the Barracuda seat on it and added my own scratch cushion. The access to the fuel tank is under the cushion per the standard design.

The Kit supplied seat is very nicely done, I just thought the Barracuda one was even nicer, and since I had bought 2 earlier, in she went!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 01:56:04 AM »
Outstanding work on the seat and cushion, Lance!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence