Author Topic: The pricing policy or why the engines from Taurus are so expensive?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline taurusmodels

At first word: nobody told me, that my engines are expensive. But I see this... Oberursel UIII costs almost as much as the whole model! I understand, that for some of modelers it can be too much to buy it. In this topic I'd like to clarify to you, how I estimate my prices.

My policy is: the highest quality for as little price as it can be. But sometimes it cannot be as low, as I want.

I'm calculating products prices in really simple way: the costs of materials + the costs of work is divided by amounts of the products. The materials included into this calculations are only silicon and resin. Firstly I'm checking the forms resistance. It depends on the products. For some of them it can be 10 pours (that casts are acceptable), but sometimes (cylinders, cylinders heads) it can be 2-3 pours). Next I need to take into account the efficiency of casting. Sometimes 100% of casts are correct, but sometimes it can be only 20-30% (cylinders, cylinders heads again). All of this is easy to calculate: first run of forms pouring gives me all, what I need. After forms preparing I'm weighting it, to have amount of used silicon. Next I'm pouring test forms once a day (in order not to damage it to early) until casts are acceptable. If casts are unacceptable (the form is dead :)) ), I'm completing sets, to have exact amount of sets. Next I'm weighting whole sets (with no boxes or blisters :)) ) to have amount of resin, that have been used. I'm noting also the time, I work on casting. Now I have everything: amount of materials used for casting given amount of correct sets, the time that I spent on it. I do not include the time spent on master's preparing - it's my pleasure, not work! The time spent on casting has no rigid price - it depends on the final price of product (this rule is used only for me - I'm the chef and the worker :)) ). If the price is high in my opinion I'm decreasing work costs and correct the price, to have it acceptable. Unfortunately sometimes the price is ludicrous in spite of really low work costs (in the case of UIII the cost of the work hour is about 2$).

As You can see, all depends on a complexity of the set. In the case of Oberursel UIII the cylinders generates costs. Only 25% of casts are correct - it's the price of "any simplification"... the ribs in cylinder are really thin, and usually are damaged during demoulding. After 3 pouring the efficiency of such a form decreases to 5%. It generates huge costs.

In the case of simple sets, I'm trying to maintain low prices, because it is possible in this case. I'm checking the prices of the cheapest sets (usually it is QuickBoost) and trying to be below this level.

Now I'm calculating the costs of Bentley Br2... and I'm really scared!!!! The model in MORE SIMPLE version (with support for mounting in Snipe) has 293 parts. Almost a half is problematic. I'm currently in business trip, but some parts of tests has been carried out. I hope that the engine will be even little cheaper than Snipe!!! I know, that it is ludicrous, but in this case I didn't take into account of costs any payment for work - only materials. It's my the most accurate model, I didn't simplify anything. But the cost is, that the forms set can be used only twice, so I can have only 4.5 sets from one forms set.

I'm not assuming large number of sold sets of Br2 from the reason of the price, but I want You to know, what is the reason of this price. I'm not going to increase prices of any sets, that I'm working on. The price of Br2 is caused only huge costs of casting. Really sorry for this.

Hope, You understand this.

All the best, Lukasz

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:07:35 PM by taurusmodels »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: The pricing policy or why the engines from Taurus are so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
Thanks very much Lukasz for the explanation on your pricing, I fully understand why you charge the prices you do, but I for one have never complained about your pricing. I look at in the way that you get what you pay for, poor quality inferior products demand a much lower price but high quality top of the range products like what you produce demand and deserve a much higher price. I am still looking forward to seeing the completed Bentley Br.2 engine, it promises to be your best ever product and regardless of the price it will be worth every cent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »
In another thread Des mentioned he’d like a 1/12th scale Ferrari kit by Model Factory Hiro (MFH) in Japan. For those who aren’t familiar with MFH kits they are at the top of the automotive modelling tree as regards quality, complexity & price are concerned. They incorporate resin, white metal, turned parts, photo-etch & lots more. I’ve just ordered a 1/12th scale Porsche 956 & I’ve already got a couple of 1/24th Porsche 917’s.

The MFH kits are superb to say the least, they build up as stunning models & are almost worshipped by some modellers but the level of detail in their resin parts – good though it is - is less than we enjoy from Taurus. I’m not trying to knock MFH here – I’ve just given them a wad of money ;) – but I’m using them as renown market leaders in their field to put into perspective just how good the engines are from Taurus.

MFH aside - frankly in general the quality of detail of resin components from many automotive resin kit producers is certainly below what’s been shown to be achievable; there seems to be a head in the sand attitude with some of the makers as there’s been little advance in quality for years whereas the aircraft side has leapt ahead. Perhaps aero modellers are more errrr... ‘demanding’  ::) or attract the most skilled resin artisans such as Lukasz & Ron/Aviattic. I think forums such as this help to push the boundaries as well.

Taurus engines are as good as it gets as far as resin detail parts go; I can’t see how they could get better & still remain buildable. In an age of great WW1 kits & even better resin ‘bits’ it’s possible to overlook just how good this stuff is & all the problems the makers face producing it.   

Regards
Russell

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »
Indeed... Lukasz's prices are actually a bargain for what you are getting.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 10:36:57 PM »
Considering the work you put into your products, Lulasz,
I have no qualms about the price.  "You get what you pay
for".  Keep up the good work, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jknaus

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
For me they are worth every penny. While I may not do them the justice they deserve I really enjoy the detail and complexity. Someone can build a very nice WNW kit without the Taurus Engines and many do. But for that little bit extra oomph these engines are hands down the best and really complement the build.
James

guitarlute101

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »

I agree with James, Lukasz' engines are magnificent and worth every penny! I don't think of them as a separate cost, the engines are a model in themselves so it's like putting a model on a model.

Mark

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »
"I do not include the time spent on master's preparing"

I hope anyone who thinks these gems of fine craft, and the master's art that goes into them, are "over-priced" reads that line a few times.

Lukasz, to my way of thinking, you are seriously under charging!! But God Bless You for what you are providing to those of us who understand and appreciate it!!

Niech żyje król Lukas

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:52:57 AM »
I agree with everyone that although the Taurus engines are not cheap, they are a bargain for the quality you get. There is no better kit of any kind anywhere. These models, or jewels, are the pinnacle of our hobby. I recently built the Gnome and am so impressed that I purchased a DH.2 to show it off since there is no cowl covering the engine. Essentially, I'm building an airplane to showcase the engine! :D

I can't wait to order the Bentley. Again, I purchased a Snipe just so I have a good place to showcase this engine.

George

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 03:01:41 AM »
Indeed... Lukasz's prices are actually a bargain for what you are getting.

Absolutely!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline eclarson

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:27 AM »
An inspiring thread!  So much so that I just ordered a 100hp Gnome to go on my WNW DH.2 as well as some Gotha selector switches and a set of the new magneto & switch.   :)

Eric

Offline taurusmodels

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:20:59 AM »
THANK YOU FOR SUCH A NICE WORDS!!!!!

It was not my intention to obtain such a support from you - I was just going to clarify my policy. But I'm so happy from this reaction :) .

I promise, that I'll maintain such low prices as possible and the highest possible quality!

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
Every modeller will have a different budget, different tastes in models, different abilities and interests to do intricate scratch building or modifications, so there is no universal value for money equation. Marketing theory suggests you should pitch your price where the target market is willing to pay, not a cost-plus approach. There are plenty of modellers willing to pay for quality!
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Every modeller will have a different budget, different tastes in models, different abilities and interests to do intricate scratch building or modifications, so there is no universal value for money equation. Marketing theory suggests you should pitch your price where the target market is willing to pay, not a cost-plus approach. There are plenty of modellers willing to pay for quality!

And I would add that the idea of you doing this for what amounts to sweatshop wages is  wrong....  ($2/hr?) And also unsustainable. Meaning you will burn out and we will be left without. I'd rather you charge prices that sustain your business; this is what you surely were born to do!

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »

And I would add that the idea of you doing this for what amounts to sweatshop wages is  wrong....  ($2/hr?) And also unsustainable. Meaning you will burn out and we will be left without. I'd rather you charge prices that sustain your business; this is what you surely were born to do!

Yes, this is true, you will burn out if you aren't earning what you deserve. You are an artist in what you do. Artists don't charge based on their materials, they are paid based on their talent and skills. If a painting was only worth the cost of supplies and a sweatshop wage then I could pick up a Van Gogh for a less that a few hundred dollars!