Author Topic: Supermarine Seafire Mk. XV "Memory Moment"  (Read 1646 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Supermarine Seafire Mk. XV "Memory Moment"
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:56 AM »
  Yesterday I completed the Special Hobby 1:48 Mk XV Seafire in Royal Canadian Navy colours. It's done as Ser#  PR 503. an aircraft I rescued, with the help of two High School Buddies, in 1959 just before she was to be melted down. It's a long story, she's had several owners since then, but now flies the Airshow Circuit in the USA. You can see her at 
 https://www.youtube.com/v/TneYPcyGbbY%26autoplay=1%26rel=0
   PR503 has been finished in her pre 1950 Royal Navy scheme, I modelled her in her later RCN scheme as I found her sitting derelict in a field over 50 years ago. Last, the gentleman who re-built her claims she was stolen and thus survived......not true! I had a receipt for her for $1.00, exactly what I paid to establish ownership. She was moved to Bedford Nova Scotia under cover of darkness, however, to minimise public inquiries.............
   Here's a few shots of my "Memory Moment Seafire".........

I'd love to see her fly some day, I've had no luck contacting the owner either. If you wish to see more just Google her, there's an excellent feature done at an Air Show that has some really incredible detail shots and great insight into the re-building project. I'm very pleased that this turned out so well, PR 503 is the only flying Mk XV left in the world. :)

Cheers,
Lance         

Offline lone modeller

Re: Supermarine Seafire Mk. XV "Memory Moment"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
Wonderful model Lance.

Interesting how urban myths become established and then grow out of very few facts, and then usually incorrect ones. You must feel very proud indeed to have been able to help retain a little bit of aviation history, and at a time when people considered these things to be no more than junk. Thanks to people like you who had the necessary foresight we can still see these incredible machines fly - which is what they were built for.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
Great story, Lance. You and your high school buddies must be very proud that you saved her, even though proper credit isn't given. It must be very gratifying to see her fly again, especially with such a great restoration.

Also, I really like the model you have made in the Royal Canadian colors.

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the link to the you tube video, it is extremely interesting and fantastic to see the plane flying. you have done a superb job with your model Lance, the colour scheme you chose is superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »
Gorgeous Seafire and fantastic story, Lance!  If I were ever to go back to modeling WWII subjects, a Spit would be the first in line.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
Outstanding results! The story is very interesting. I can't think of many aircraft that rival the lines of the Spitfire/Seafire family! Beautiful work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »
Stephen, George, Des, Bud and Rick,
    Many thanks for your kind remarks, as always greatly appreciated. This, as you've probably surmised, was a bit of a labour of love for this Modeller; PR 503 is one of my best childhood memories. Who, at the age of 15, could own one of Mr. Mitchell's masterpieces and not be thrilled beyond all words?! I wish I still had the hand written Bill of Sale, unfortunately I returned it with a similar one when we three signed her over to the EAA and went off to our various adventures and careers.
    These four photos are a few I still have soft copies of. That's me upper left, "dreaming in technicolour"! As you can see she was in pretty rough shape, and the Rolls Royce Griffon was long gone.

Now, back to that wonderful wood, canvas, and wire past time! :D

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
Fabulous story behind a great build Lance!!!!!!

Steve

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
Fascinating story, Lance, and you have done a great job on the Seafire. I just love the beautiful lines and raw power of this aircraft.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
You lucky boy!
Great back-story, Lance and one sweet looking Spit in model form - well done!

vB ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »
Steve, Nigel and Bob,
    Thank you, your comments are most appreciated. One last photo from the few I have, PR 503 in her heyday at the RCN's Shearwater Naval Air Station in Halifax Canada, in 1949-50. As you remarked, Nigel, a powerful brute!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »
A great model, Lance...just beautiful!  The story of
her rebirth is wonderful.  Congratulations on your
$1.00 investment...the first big step in saving her!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:17 PM »
Wow. Very interesting!  Nice model too.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 12:30:09 AM »
What a positively superb story and model, as well (and beautifully photographed.) Truly heart warming, Lance! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Big Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:23 AM »
Ernie, Bo, Michael,
   Thank you for the great comments. The story of her early travels is told in the Jan. / Feb. 1989 issue of Air Progress Warbirds when she was in Hamilton Ontario being partially restored by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. Al least Air Progress got the details of we three teenagers acquiring rather then stealing her correct! Maybe I should have started this Thread, "once upon a time", it still seems unreal to me at times.
Cheers,
Lance