Author Topic: Notes on Aerial Fighting  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Notes on Aerial Fighting
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:23:58 PM »
Many thanks to Dave Wadman for sending me this very interesting article on Aerial Fighting.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Notes on Aerial Fighting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
Fascinating stuff, if distinctly odd, almost hilarious in places and highly stereotypical of the enemy. So, to take just one example, in a section sub-headed The Fight, on page 17 we read that

"When a Hun is attacked on our side of the lines, he is nervous and his chief idea is to get back to his own side.... Being a slow thinker he does not stunt much, but opens fire at a long range, and fires a lot of ammunition, most of which is absolutely useless. It is sometimes hard to say whom he is trying to hit.

"A bold attack makes the Hun dive away... If he is in a single-seater, such as a triplane, his wings will usually fall off, and you can save your ammunition.

"The Hun is a painstaking creature, so that his gun seldom jambs..."

The pamphlet appears undated but the reference to the triplane may date it to late 1917/early 1918. Certainly the seldom jamming comment might have brought a wry smile to the face of MvR.

I loved reading this. Thanks for posting it.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »

"A bold attack makes the Hun dive away... If he is in a single-seater, such as a triplane, his wings will usually fall off, and you can save your ammunition.

Sounds like something Lord Flashheart would write.
Woof!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:29:58 PM »
Fascinating stuff, I wonder how many British Pilots and Observers really believed that "all our new pilots are better then the average Hun"!? We've come a long way since those "glory" days! An enjoyable read, it would be interesting to see what the opposition were teaching in their Manuals..........
Cheers,
Lance