Author Topic: Albatros D-Va Ernst Udet 1/72  (Read 2898 times)

Offline vincentm

Albatros D-Va Ernst Udet 1/72
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »
IMO the underside lozenges are the most beautiful but it's usually those you cannot see or almost.  This is the reason why I decided to build this diorama, using this picture as a reference:

This machine was a D-Va since aileron cables can be seen, but an early-production one as it has no reinforcing braces on the outer V-struts. Some sources state that this particular batch was mainly built by Albatros at Johannisthal, which probably means salmon-pink rib tapes. For the rest, this aircraft is well known thanks to several photos, including an in-flight view of the underside with the letter 'U'. The topside of the upperwing is more an issue since it's rather hard to positively say whether 2 parallels white bands, or 2 chevrons, were painted over the printed fabric. But that was not a problem for me since it wouldn't be visible. Considering its shape, I think the prop is a Wolff. The aircraft had at least two custom features: a telescopic gunsight visible on some pics, and a wind-generator on the landing gear.

The nice Roden engine was further detailed with valve springs and I used Eduard PE to upgrade the Spandaus and add the hanging seatbelts. The cockpit was not detailed since it wouldn't be visible. There's only a seat and the RPM gauge on its tubular stand since that could be seen through the cockpit cutout. The decals come from an FCM sheet but as usually, the lozenges and rib tapes were home printed. Figures from Orion and Airfix.

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Albatros D-Va Ernst Udet 1/72
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
A very unique and beautifully done diorama! You've really captured the feel of the photo perfectly, right down to the way the figures are posed.

George

Offline dtomko

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »
Superb!  That's a fantastic vignette! 
Drew

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »
very nice work

Offline vincentm

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:49:31 PM »
That is a very clever way to display your model and the figures with a very realistic outcome, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
Very nice Vincent, congratulations on completing this little scene.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:30:14 AM »
What can I ad? This is a simply wonderful little scene - just the kind of thing I dream of doing but lack the skill to do so. That must be a prize winner - at least it mis for me!

Offline vincentm

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »
Thanks. I've become addicted to lozenges and was frustrated that the lowerside ones were almost invisible when a model is completed. My first idea was to build a new D-V, the red and white Jasta 18 bird, and I thought it would not take much more time to build two so I added this one to the build, only for showing those beautiful lower lozenges.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »
Truly stunning, Vincent, and what a marvelous display!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »
A very well done model in its' own right! The vignette is the perfect way to highlight your Albatros! A scene taken right from the book so to speak!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline vincentm

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »
Thanks.
Yes, what I've done eventually is 'colorizing the picture'. And that's what I like with WWI models, because they look rather dull on greyscale time pics, and this is a way to show how colorful daily scenes actually were when combat aircraft were involved.

Offline IanB

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
Beautifully done. A very unique little vignette.

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
Beautiful job, Vincent!  You certainly captured the
feel of the photograph.  Well done, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline vincentm

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
Thanks. I first wanted to stick as close as possible to the period picture but I had to give up with the wing deformation. The lower wings are bent, they have caught a negative dihedral angle during the crash. Doing this on the kit would have required to bend the cabane masts more or less at random until they fit, and there were too many chances to break them off considering how the parts are thin.