Author Topic: US Holiday!  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Trackpad

US Holiday!
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »
To all of our American friends from your friends in the Great White North...

Happy July 4th !!!

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Jim52

Re: US Holiday!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
Thanks, Gary! And, another gift on the order of Lacrosse
would be just fine! Eh.  :)

Jim

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »
Thank you, Trackpad. Will be watching the fireworks on the shore of Lake Superior, looking over towards your good country.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
Thank God the Canadians pushed you back over the river in 1812! haha

It's more than we Brits could do  ;D

Happy 4th to all my American brethren  :-*
God bless,

Von Buckle

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:53:07 AM »
Thanks, Gary! And, another gift on the order of Lacrosse
would be just fine! Eh.  :)

Jim

Hey, Jim! Don't forget that it was a Canuckian who provided you, and us all, with ...

"James Naismith was a Canadian physical education instructor at the International YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts. In December of 1891, the director of the school, Dr. Luther Halsey Gulick, asked Naismith to find a physical activity to occupy a "class of incorrigibles." Naismith may have had other motivations as well. Naismith wanted to create a game of skill for the students instead of one that relied solely on strength. He needed a game that could be played indoors in a relatively small space. And he wanted to keep his football players in shape off-season. Naismith saw the feature article about the ball game called Ollamalitzli and the Mayan game of Ulama. He had also read articles by a New Zealander called Tom Ellison who wrote about ancient ball sports that required a lot of aerial handball skills. He took account of the hole that the round bouncy ball had to go through in the Central American games, and the excitement of the traditional Maori game where a round flax ball was aerially passed with speed and dexterity. With his supportive wife he then devised a game suitable for a gym. He carried on with the creation of the game.

Taking to the task, Naismith rounded up two peach baskets and a soccer ball. Next, he developed 13 rules for the new game. He divided his class of 18 into 2 teams of 9 players each (the team today would be the equivalent of 3 guards, 3 centers, and 3 forwards) and set about to teach them the basics of his new game of basketball. The object of the game was to throw the soccer ball into the peach baskets nailed to the lower railing of the gym balcony. Every time a point was scored, the game was halted so the janitor could lug out a ladder and retrieve the ball (the bottoms of the peach baskets were intact at first). The first public basketball game was in Springfield, MA, on March 11, 1892."
(Wikipedia)

A bit better known than lacrosse, eh??  :D

James Naismith

OK, enough sports history. Have a great day, Y'all!  ;) ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 05:30:09 AM »
Thanks Trackpad and to Von Buckles, true but the ties still run through our veins.  :)

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »
Another Canuck wishing my American friends a very Independent day!  :)

LT

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:23:24 AM »
Another Canuck wishing my American friends a very Independent day!  :)

LT

And from me as well!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jim52

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Gary,
        Funny that you should mention Basketball as I grew up in
Springfield, Ma. I played that game with the same .....ummm.....
"gusto" that I played Lacrosse with!  :) :) :) :)

Jim

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
Add me to the list wishing you fellows a happy Independence Day!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
It's two minutes to mignight. 4 July 2012. Thanks to all who wished our American friends best wishes on Their Day. 364 days from now we will do it all over again!!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Hale to the Chief cuz he's the Chief and he needs haling  Dah dah dee dah da dee dah dee dah dee dah dah....