Author Topic: IPMS Canada Western Canadian Regional Model Contest 2015  (Read 4960 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
IPMS Canada Western Canadian Regional Model Contest 2015
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:56 AM »
   On the 5th and 6th of June I travelled to The Canadian IPMS Western Regional Show at the Canadian Bomber Command Museum and Memorial in Nanton, southern Alberta. This event has become one of the big highlights of my modelling year and was the forth I have attended. The occasion was well worth the seven hour drive offering a great contest, wonderful opportunity to meet other Hobbyists, and another chance to explore the first class Museum. The Show was reasonably well attended with 117 Modellers registering entries which totalled 157 Models of all categories.
   The Museum has one of the world's few surviving Lancasters on display and provided a four engine run up for the attendees; four "turning and burning" Rolls Royce Merlins is not a sight nor sound everyone gets to experience these days! The Memorial provides a sobering backdrop to the event having the names of the well over five thousand Canadian Airmen engraved on the beautiful granite "wall" who gave the ultimate sacrifice during the Second World War.

The Museum, housed in an original WWII Hangar provides a wonderful venue for the Contest. Only approximately half of the competition area is illustrated here:

The following photos of various entries illustrate the skills on display, with Canadian subjects prominent as always!

There were approximately two dozen WWI Aircraft Entries, not a large number but there were some "World Class" examples of the Modellers art on display. I entered with three 1:32 models, all Wingnut Wings; the Airco DH2 and two Fokker D.VII's.

A magnificent WNW LVG C.VI which won the Gold in Class......

A very pretty Roland that garnered a Bronze Medal......

My two D.VII's......

a very nice "open" Camel......

and my DH2 which won the Silver and was also voted the IPMS Members Choice Award,

Safely back home in the case.......

Many thanks to Richard at Aviattic who "twisted my arm" (an easy go!) to use his CDL and PC10 Fabric Decals on this build, it sure helped in the recognition she got!

In all, a very enjoyable experience and a great opportunity to meet and connect with new friends of similar interests, several of whom I steered to our Forum. Next year's version will be held at the Western Canadian Aviation Museum in Edmonton, Alberta and you can bet I'll be there!
Cheers,
Lance

Online MoFo

Re: IPMS Canada Western Canadian Regional Model Contest 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 02:49:03 AM »
The Show was reasonably well attended with 117 Modellers registering entries which totalled 157 Models of all categories.

OUCH!  That's waaaaay down from a few years back, before the club imploded.  I think we/they were averaging 500 - 600 entries then.  Shame the Calgary club is so, err, 'dysfunctional'.*  It was a good event.

If you feel like driving down to Calgary in September, the Military Modelling contest is worth a visit.  It's still a little heavy on armour, but there is a healthy contingent of nice aircraft entries (bunch of great modellers who won't go to the RMMC show), usually some really nice ships and the odd diorama.  With a bit of luck, I'll be adding to the WWI stuff...

*I'm being really polite.  Been there, done that... twice.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:48:26 AM »
Mofo,
    Fewer then in the past several years for sure. I heard some comments regarding "the other group" and some boycotting last time in Nanton in 2013, I'm not party to what the disagreement is/was but evidently it's alive and doing well. That's really too bad however, it is what it is I suppose. I just looked up the notes I took in 2012 at the Edmonton Contest, 495 entries registered! Having Brett Green from Hyperscale and Spencer Pollard from the UK as speakers probably helped. Regardless, the organisers did a good job, I enjoyed it, and I'll be there next time. I don't think I'll make Calgary in September as I'm combining a family visit to Ottawa with the CAPCON Show and a get together with a group I've met on this Forum in late September, maybe next year. As an aside we are hoping to move down your way to Airdrie or perhaps Okotoks if/when our house sells, sooner the better, so one never knows..........
   Do you travel to Edmonton in their hosting years? If so let's try to touch base next year, as I said these shows are quickly gaining popularity in my tiny little world.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:58:58 AM »
Lance,
Thanks for posting the photos and congrats on the awards !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »
Ed,
    Thank you, kind Sir. It's not the US Nationals nor the Michael Fitz Award but it's nice to get some positive endorsement of one's efforts! I believe the real enjoyment comes from what you pick up from other enthusiasts, and Damn, there's some mighty fine Modellers here, great inspiration.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Ed,
    Thank you, kind Sir. It's not the US Nationals nor the Michael Fitz Award but it's nice to get some positive endorsement of one's efforts! I believe the real enjoyment comes from what you pick up from other enthusiasts, and Damn, there's some mighty fine Modellers here, great inspiration.
Cheers,
Lance

Speaking of the US NATS, will you attend this year in Columbus, Ohio /

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
Congratulations Lance on the well deserved recognition!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »
Ed,
Cheers,
Lance

Speaking of the US NATS, will you attend this year in Columbus, Ohio /

Ed

In my dreams Ed! I'd love to travel there some day, I met Tom Morgan a few years back and he raves about the experience. This year it's CAPCON in Ottawa, maybe I can "ramp up" my Model Show Schedule and make it to the "Nats" before they put me away somewhere for my own good! ;)
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:14:19 PM by lcarroll »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
Thanks Bo, coming from a craftsman of your talents I much appreciate your comment.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
Congrats, Lance!
It's nice to see you get the recognition you deserve  ;)

Well done.
Von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
Congratulations, Lance on the award for your wonderful DH2!
They could have also included your sublime pair of D.VII's. :D
Now you have me thinking of trying to get to the Edmonton
show next year...maybe if I can tempt Mama with a shopping spree... 8) ;) ;D
Again, well done, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 03:49:20 AM »
Thanks Ernie. The Edmonton Show is always well done, and the West Edmonton Mall would keep your "Mamma" busy all day. (just ask me how much time I've killed over the years standing around in that place while the Mrs. "just looks for a minute"!!) Would really enjoy meeting you there. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 04:48:06 AM »
Congrats om the awards. I wish I had of known about this, I might have gone down to it. Found out the week after. Looks like a nice venue and to hear a Lanc Heaven.
James

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 04:58:27 AM »
Thank you James. The event seems to be scheduled first week of June annually, should be in Edmonton next year. Had I known I would have reminded you about this one. Get going on a few entries for 2016! The Armour is high calibre but so is yours, and you've got some nice WWI stuff under your belt as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

Hey Lance!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
Thanks for posting your pics. Again, it was great to chat with you at the show and I look forward to seeing your latest builds at the next one in Edmonton.
Cheers,
Gary Edmundson