Author Topic: Meikraft RAF BE2c early in 1/72  (Read 11134 times)

Offline IanB

Re: Meikraft RAF BE2c early in 1/72
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 12:38:27 AM »
Welcome back, John, Happy New Year!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 06:17:55 AM »
John,
Good to see you back and working on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Hi John, just now saw this thread. (Missed it while absent this last summer.)  Wow!  A man building a Meikraft kit!   You're a manly man in my book! ;)  (I still have my Meikraft Pfalz's and Albatri.)

Looking forward to seeing you progress on this sir.

Warren

Offline Bolman

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 03:50:21 AM »
Greetings folks, and a belated thanks to Ian, Rick and Warren.

I have finally managed to get the strut material cut and assembled and still have 6 struts to shape yet and then paint. The strut shaping has been a bit brutal on my hands and I've only been able to manage doing a few here and there.  Once I have the struts completed, we should be seeing some progress with the build.

Thanks for checking in,

John

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »
Great to hear that you are back working on this model John, looking forward to your next updates.

Des
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
Yes, great to hear you're back in the saddle on this one. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Warren

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »
Great stuff John, I'm excited to see you back at work on the BE. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Any chance you'll be "unwinding" after this build by tackling the new Airfix kit? It would make an interesting comparison.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Terrific progress John! Looking great!
RAGIII

Offline Bolman

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks Rick and KiwiZac

Zac,I'd like to eventually get a couple of the Airfix offerings in the hopes that they would be more accurate than the Meikraft version I am working with now. I'm currently concerned the engine in this kit may be bad enough that I'll have to scratch one. I certainly couldn't scratch one as well as some others on here, but I think I can make one better than what they gave me to work with.

I'm on a deadline with this build, so I may be forced to work with it.

John

Offline Bolman

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 03:38:02 AM »
Update:

I've done some of the painting on the fuselage. Mixing the wood color myself. The struts are a little on the wide side and need to be thinned down a bit before I can install them.  I hope to have that corrected soon so we can get some assembly going on this one.

Thanks for looking!

John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:49:50 AM by Bolman »

Offline Bolman

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 08:33:08 AM »
Another update...

I fit the cabana struts into place and then the top wing. With having the struts made with solid brass wire cores, I pass the wire ends through the wings for added strength. I've never had a strut pop out of places using this assembly method. You can see the ends stick up through the wing here:

Next was the task of getting the fuselage to wing rigging done and mounting of the goal post style gun mount. This was very fiddly and the parts I made may be a bit oversized for this scale, but I'm thinking I couldn't have managed them any smaller.

A bit more rigging done and adding of some of the struts as well as some painting:

So, I'm still working on rigging for now and hope to have the wings rigged yet tonight.

Thanks for looking!

John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:52:44 AM by Bolman »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
Looks outstanding John! Nice work on the MG mount.
RAGIII

Offline Bolman

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Thanks Rick, much appreciated!

John

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 06:33:21 AM »
This is shaping up beautifully John, the gun mount and rigging are looking really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Bolman

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »
Thanks Des, appreciate the support.  I was actually concerned about how the gun mount would look. Would be much easier to fabricate in a larger scale!

Looking ahead, the design of this kit does not match the plane they intended for it to represent. This kit has the engine sump cowling while the prototype did not. The lower wings are notched out for camera view and pilot visibility while the prototype was not. Since these are features I will not be changing, I am feeling ok about going ahead and building it as one of the planes these changes were made to prior to the removal of the skid landing gear and the version change to the D/E/F variants. I will be adding markings to match as well.  I don't have the datafile in front of me at the moment, but there was a photo that caught my eye which would be a great representation of what I will be modeling. This is why I added the goal post gun mount even though the top wing was not notched out above the fuselage.  We're going for one of those moments of when... hey, would be better if we notched out the wing a bit.

John