Author Topic: Meikraft RAF BE2c early in 1/72  (Read 11248 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Meikraft RAF BE2c early in 1/72
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
Excellent start on my favorite WWI aircraft, John!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »
For an old and difficult to build kit you have done a great job so far, the two cockpit openings appear to be the correct size and shape, looking forward to seeing how this build progresses, BTW, the BE.2 is another of my favorite aircraft from WW1.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 01:48:41 AM »
Hi John. Words of wisdom, indeed, from your mum.

You don't need to apologise for any delay in posting. I guess like many others, I'm fascinated to see what you make of this kit and it looks like you've made a very accomplished start.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 02:14:39 AM »
looks good so far, it will be interesting to see how the meikraft compares to the new airfix tool.

Offline Bolman

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 07:32:59 AM »
Thank you Bud, Des, Nigel, and Albatros for your kind words.

For an old and difficult to build kit you have done a great job so far, the two cockpit openings appear to be the correct size and shape, looking forward to seeing how this build progresses, BTW, the BE.2 is another of my favorite aircraft from WW1.

Des.

Des, I personally find it remarkable that many of the iconic aircraft and work horses of the war, such as the BE2, are not represented well in the modeling industry. I'm sure I could list nearly a 100 or more other examples too. All too often, a modeler or enthusiest is either left with no choice but to aquire what is available in a scale other than what they normally build in, or become skilled enough to build it from scratch, or go without. I have chosen, in my case, to scratch what I can get the information on and test my skills. If it were not for the skilled and tireless work of the researchers and writers of the good folks producing the datafiles we all love, I might be forced to choose going without.
Because of your fine work keeping this forum available, I was recently able to aquire a drawing which will help fill a hole in my roster. Thank you for your work and all you do.

And, thank you to all of you members of the forum for all the support given to Des, Me, and to each other. As a community, we can only grow as we help each other in what we all enjoy doing. Modeling history, and keeping it alive.

John

Offline Bolman

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 03:04:52 AM »
A short update...

The task of painting everything white has been completed and I've mixed a CDL wash to stain the white base coat.

I'm not sure if I went too heavy on the wash and am thinking I may need to get a large brush and thinner to dilute the look a bit.

John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:41:14 AM by Bolman »

Offline radio

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:32 AM »
It looks beautiful, John.
Cheers
Martin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:01:26 PM by radio »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
That is a superb finish you have created John, this is a technique I will have to try on my next scratch build.

I agree totally with what you said John, there are a huge number of WW1 and pre WW1 aircraft that are not kitted by the kit manufacturers. The kits they do produce seem to be restricted to the 'well known' and popular aircraft of the time with the lesser known aircraft missing out. I can fully understand their marketing strategy but it would be nice if every now and then an obscure type would be kitted. I will continue scratch building the aircraft types I find interesting.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Bolman

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:35 PM »
Thanks Martin and Des

I think I am going to try wiping most of the color off since I feel it is too much in the photos. Just doesn't look correct to me.  If that doesn't work, well.. back to painting it white again and make another attempt.

Thanks for looking,

John

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
do what you feel you must. you have it in your hand and can see better. on the screen the finish you have painted looks very close to the pictures jamo posted. the be2c was often looking pretty dirty from what i have seen .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »
I think you have done a good job with the effect. Only you can decide if it meets your standards/ look you are after. Either way I am looking forward to more!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bolman

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
Update,

A couple of you suggested that the finish was fine, so I split the difference on what I was thinking it should look like and the previous post. Here is a shot of it after muting the color a bit.  This wasn't as easy as wiping it off. Took me a few hours to rework the paint and attempt to get it as uniform as possible. It's not perfect, but may not be as noticable when completed.

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:43:13 AM by Bolman »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
i think it looks nice. also you must remember something i learned. looking at the bare finish its easy to see the contrast of tan colors layered. but once you put on the roundels and sqadron markings etc they will be more resigned to the background and therefore less obvious. imho you are going in the right direction.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
I am very impressed! I think the previous point is valid as I too have often times thought the finish wasn't right until markings were applied! In the end you are your worst/best critic! Have Fun,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bolman

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 11:31:02 PM »
Update:

Apologies for my absence. Now that the holidays are past us, I will be getting back to this project with completion by the end of April as my goal.

I have already started making the brass cored struts and once I have a useable set done, I'll get some shots of the adding of the top wing and rigging in progress.

Thanks,

John