Author Topic: Patrick & Ernie's MGB...Wingnut Wings Late Sopwith Snipe. (Long Post!)  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Hello everyone,
   My good friend Patrick (IFF1418) and I have completed our second two man Mini-Group-Build, this time
the WnW Sopwith Snipe, late version.
  I will show mine now and Patrick will add his gorgeous version later. :D  They were done basically OOB,
with the addition of  Gaspatch Turnbuckles and Pheon decals for Post-war RAF Snipes.  The colour
scheme I chose was the Silver and Blue Snipe of 32 Squadron, RAF Kenley, 1924.
  As I mentioned, it was an virtually out of the box build, so I will not go into the construction too much,
but of course if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. :D  This was as always a completely
enjoyable experience sharing the build with Patrick who was a great help and source of support, so thanks to
you, my brilliant partner! :D
  I will start with some pictures of construction assemblies...

I found this a tough build and it seemed to fight me at times. ::)  Now of course it was completely self-inflicted as the
kit was as usual up to Wingnut's high standards.  Again, thanks to Patrick for helping me along over the bumps. :D
  Thanks for looking and as I mentioned please feel free to ask any questions or make comments.
That's all from me guys and gals.  Stand by for Patrick's unveiling...not him, the model. ;) ;D  As they say, the
best is yet to come!...

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Pgtaylorart

Great job Ernie, it looks awesome! :D

I look forward to seeing the next one in this mini, mini group build.

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Congratulations, you have done a superb job with this model Ernie, all the internals are extremely well done, great painting and excellent rigging, a real credit to you.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

What a magnificentiece of work, Ernie! Well done. I just love how a cool head and some patience can make sense of all the rigging wires once they are attached at one end.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
She looks lovely, Ernie  ;)
Well done!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline IFF1418

Hello friends,

This is my share in the Snipe mini group build. I choose the scheme of the 111th Sqn, Duxford 1924. The Pheon decals were warm-heartedly offered by my dear friend Ernie. The only additions to the WnW kit besides the decals were the Gaspatch turnbuckles  and of course the tubes from Mr. Tubemeister Bob. As there were many interruptions during the build due to personal problems I can hardly speak of a very consistent build. But after 5 consecutive non WnW builds it was kind of a relief. The WnW engineering is fabulous. An example of this is the cabane struts fitting and placing. I had the greatest problems rigging the tail part, where the control horns are very fragile. A lot of rigging too. The closing of the cockpit never worked good at all. So it is difficult even standing in the shadow of Ernies build and I think he is too generous in his comments on my build. From his side he helped me all the way in my difficult moments which I am very thankful for. It was an immense  pleasure doing this together!  ;) :D Thank you for passing by!

Kind regards
Patrick

Online RAGIII

Ernie,
You have produced a GORGEOUS Snipe! Lovely interior and the scheme is beautiful. Your rigging is excellent! Your build has me tempted to move my Late Snipe up in the "To Do" pile!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

Patrick,
Brilliant work! Your Snipe is beautiful in all respects. As usual you are underestimating your own skills. Now that you have posted your portion of the build my Snipe is 2 kits higher in the pile  8) I hope you are feeling better my friend!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

Magnificent work, Patrick! You and Ernie have certainly done the forum proud with these Snipes.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
A fine brace of Sopwiths! They certainly look different in those post-war colours.

Offline Ernie

George, Des, Nigel, Bob, Rick, and Squiffy, thank you all very much
for the kind comments.  It is heartwarming and encouraging to receive
those words from a group modelers that I look up to so much.
  I have to correct a serious mistake.  I completely forgot to acknowledge
a couple of important additions to the build... Taurus models RAF
pulseometer... a work of art in it's self!  Thanks, Lukasz! Also, not to forget
the VonBuckle's wee eyelets used in the build...where would the
rigging be without them?  Sorry Bob! :-[ ;)
  Patrick, thanks for being such a neat partner and showing your considerable
talent with your amazing Snipe!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:22:57 PM by Ernie »

Offline IFF1418

Hello Rick, Nigel, Squiffy and Ernie,

Thank you all for your generous comments my friends! As Ernie said your appreciation from such great modelers means a lot !

Rick:  Thank you and I really hope your pile of kits isn't too high my friend, so that we will be able to see your late Snipe too in the near future. And I hope in yet another scheme! As usual it will  be brilliant. My situation is still pending and unchanged.

Nigel : Thank you so much for your as always kind comments. Much appreciated my friend!

Squiffy: Thank you! You are quite right my friend about them being different of the war-schemes. I will certainly do an early Snipe too in the William Barker's colors.

Ernie: the pleasure was all mine my dear friend! For the second time it was such a joy to work on a build together, be it that we are thousands of km away from each other. Thank you again for your friendship!

Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Ernie, Patrick,
   Lovely work, both of you. Certainly a pleasure to view the colourful schemes of the Post War Era when comparing them to the Snipe Early version's PC10's. Your "MGB" theme is admirable, just another great example of the benefits of the Forum..............well done Guys! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

Many thanks Lance, my friend.  Your modeling skills have always been an ideal
for me, and your words are certainly true...this forum is a wonderful place to
develop many possibilities for like-minded modelers. :D

Cheers,

Offline TomR1981

Patrick and Ernie,

Two lovely Snipes. The kit is so nicely detailed it builds into a fantastic model straight out of the box, as you have both shown. It really doesn't need much extra.
I love those post war schemes too.

Tom