Author Topic: I wonder, oh how I wonder...  (Read 595 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

I wonder, oh how I wonder...
« on: May 16, 2015, 03:48:36 AM »
Hello All

The other day I took out of the box a part-completed Tamiya Fairey Swordfish - one day soon I must finish this beauty. It made me think.  Likely sales cannot have been enormous and so it must have represented something of a bold venture on Tamiya's part.

Now, the senior people at Tamiya must have noted the quality of WNW's products and the reception they have received. Perhaps too they know about the gap in the 1/32 market for a really very high quality model of that most famous of Great War aircraft, the Dr.I. With almost instant public recognition and virtually nothing by way of rigging to deter the builder, it could be an attractive commercial proposition and relatively easy stepping stone into our waters.... Although perhaps they anticipate a Dr.I from WNW sooner rather than later?

Oh well, back to serious things

Best wishes

Michael Scarborough

Re: I wonder, oh how I wonder...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 04:40:55 AM »
Well, if they were to make that leap it would certainly be a good subject with which to make it.

Re: the Swordfish......I hope you will finish it. I wish Tamiya would re-release it in 1/32 scale, too! Didn't Trumpeter do one in 1/32?

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »
Trumpeter have done the swordfish in 1/32 yes.

I would be surprised if Tamya did take the plunge but couldnt imagine a better subject. Pricing though might be an issue.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »
IMO Tamiya would do an equal if not better job than Wingnuts, but they would be a very pricey kit and no free post.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
However to counter the lack of free post, Tamiya kits do seem to follow a traditional route to sales via model shops, unlike WNW.

Any new venture into WWI aircraft modelling will be an interesting and welcome development! 

Also, if the vintage tram model I am currently building is anything to go by, Mini Art could do a fine job too.