Author Topic: Felixstowe upper wing gun position.  (Read 543 times)

Offline jmpsebring

Felixstowe upper wing gun position.
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
A couple of opinions please. I have one single source of reference to the possible underside wing of the added gun to the Felixstowe. It's the box art from the Roden kit so I'm guessing it could simply be artistic license. It appears that it's takes up  half of the space between the underside of the wing down to the top of the coaming. Would it have a wood deck and wood frame wrapped with linen? Would the gunner be standing on that deck or standing on a higher 2nd platform inside? It also looks like the overall shape of the floor cannot be all that much like a teardrop shape because the  floor doesn't even reach the forward support post. (forgive my lack of proper terminology, I'm a novice with planes). So I'm guessing it's egg-shaped and open and a wooden ladder is used to climb up to it? 
  I just received my WNW kit and today cut out most of the upper coaming to show the internal detail. I will leave the outer wings off because I don't think it needs them in place since the fuselage is a stunning model anyway.   That means I can put this in a 10" wide case instead of 3'!.
  So are most of my observations sound in design? Or is all of this just speculation from boxart?