Author Topic: Sikorsky S-16 in 1:32 scale  (Read 20182 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Sikorsky S-16 in 1:32 scale
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »
More wonderful modelling Des. Just wonderful….

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
very nice des.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 08:11:29 AM »
Des, your builds just keep getting better and better! This in one very nice scratch built cockpit, and you still have things to add! :D

George

Yep, what he said, better with each one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline davecww1

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 04:14:43 AM »
True DEs, I noticed that as well.  Looks like the replica did not follow the original for materials, and I am sure they used wood for the longerons in 1916.  Yours looks fantastic, love how you got all of the pulleys on the control column. the only thing I'm not sure about is if there was a crossmember right behind the pilots seat, if there was one there it would make it hard for the guy in the back!
Dave

Thanks Dave for your kind comments and the link to the museum replica. This is where confusion arises, my book is telling me that the fuselage frame was constructed of four rectangular milled Ash or Oregon pine longerons connected to each other by ash struts. Internal cockpit photos of the replica are showing a metal tube frame. I will be following the book as it has archive photos showing that the fusalage frame was definitely timber. The museum photos will be very useful for adding extra details which are missing from the book. Thanks again Dave for the link and the image of the 1:48 scale model, all very helpful.

Des.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:16 AM »
Yes, it's very smart to follow period photos however unclear they may be vs. photos of modern replicas. So many liberties are taken with replicas with the thought of getting the general outward "flavor" of the original, with the internal structure and details using modern construction techniques. I have many Sopwith Pup pics showing the whole fuselage frame built from steel tubing! Uugh! I just ignore those.:o

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
I would like to thank Martin, George, Stephen, Scott, Rick and Dave for all the wonderful comments, they are really appreciated.

Dave, I have moved to cross member further back to allow room for the passenger, this also will open up the cockpit for better viewing. I have some information where the fuselage covering came right up to the back of pilot seat so was purely a single seater, I had all intentions of doing my model as a single seater hence the cross member, but after seeing the woven frame and fuel tank it looks better left open.

George, like you, I much prefer to follow original plans and drawings instead of photos of replicas. As you have said, the replicas are built using modern material and techniques which makes the internal structure totally un-original, but the outside appearance looks like an original which I suppose is what the museums are trying to display. Some replica builders go to a lot of effort and build the entire aircraft as per the original (TVAL for example) but these people are extremely fortunate to have access to original plans and material specifications, but the end result is a superb replica.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
Wonderful updates, Des.  Your work is of course, up to
your usual high standards that I can only dream of.  Besides
the joy of watching your talents, this is a great teaching tool.
Looking forward to the next bits of magic. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »
As always, I'm late to the party; I need to remember to check in on the scratch build forums more frequently!  Looks terrific so far, Des.  Your craftsmanship is truly enviable.

Chris

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »
Ernie and Chris, thank you for dropping in and for leaving very nice comments, I appreciate it very much.

Des.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 05:20:01 PM »
Oh dear, Des. You are spoiling us again with your immaculate scratch build. What a start!!!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
Looks like a wingnuts kit Des..

Super job  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments Przemol and Guy, not even close to a Wingnuts kit Guy but I really appreciate the comparison, you really know how to inflate a guys ego  :)

I used Aviattic WW1 RFC/RAF CDL sheet number ATT32094 on the inside of the fuselage fabric, I used 0.25mm styrene painted with Hobby Color H21 Off White then applied the decals. The top, sides and bottom have now all be fixed in place. I have also fitted the rudder post, this is made from 1.0mm styene rod. The engine has now been fitted and the engine cowl also fitted, I still need to do some touch up work before painting the nose section which will be aluminium.

Des.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 01:02:13 PM »
Oh, man, Des!  That is some truly awesome work!  And you're clippin' right along on her.  Remarkable.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
Beautifully buttoned up fuse, Des! I agree with Guy about the comparison to WNWs. Bo, Bertl, and others are improving on WNWs kits all the time. You're just skipping the step where you start with a kit! ;D

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
My many thanks to Bud and George for dropping by and leaving very nice comments.

Des.