Author Topic: 1/48 eduard w.e. 425/17 early  (Read 1993 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

1/48 eduard w.e. 425/17 early
« on: May 01, 2015, 02:32:33 PM »
this is what ive been doing with my spare time .this is mvr famous 425/17 that he was killed in. this is how it came from the fokker werke,solid red with eisenkruze ,as you most likely know this rudder was later painted white when the crosses were converted to balkenkruze. it is the eduard weekend edition.this comes with the "not very good" super fabric seatbelts. i used them but i wont again.tryed to take a picture of the interior but its too tight and i couldnt get it. i used toms modelworks pe gun jackets and the modelcasten .13mm rigging line(great stuff) a few embellishments mostly in the pit were an added magneto mounted on the floor below the throttle, which i used a spare eduard pe throttle here.i tryed to sim the stenciled crown/number on the upper wing spar inspection panel,wish someone would do a decal for this. the red is a custom red baron mix i made with a bit of dry brushing with some humbrol red lightened with ivory. fun little build to knock out.all comments and critique welcome. i know the photos suck,sorry not good at it.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/48 eduard w.e. 425/17 early
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
Very nicely done Scott, the shade of red you used looks very good, this is a really nice looking Fokker.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »
thanks des,the flash makes it look brighter than it does in person, its a bit darker in person.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
Scott!  I'm aghast!  How long have I been after you to post photos of your models?!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  She is absolutely magnificent, buddy.  The overall paint job is superb, the weathering outstanding.  The cockpit coaming is brilliantly executed.  Fantastic, ma brotha.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »
Beautiful job of an iconic aeroplane, Scott!  It is really good to see another of
your models, and this was certainly worth the wait.  Great job, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »
thanks guys.with the combing bud,as you know when you glue the fuselage together you have to fill the seam on the combing so i would use mr surfacer. with wnw kits coming out i started to notice how flat,plain and boring most 1/48 comings were so i started using the surfacer blobbed up to give so curvacious shape to the combing. as far as painting i start dark w burnt umber then dry brush with humbrol leather next i use humbrol satin brown dabbed here and there for some texture and color. thanks for noticing the work.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »
just noticed i forgot to put prop decals on. will get that right now.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
Great to see another MvR Fokker Scott, and a fantastic job you did too!

I just completed recently the Revell re-box of the same kit, but unlike you, I had some build issues particularly with the undercarriage.

How did you find the kit in general?  I was very pleased with the quality of the moldings, lack of flash etc, and how well everything fitted together in general, excpt for the u/c where I had difficulties.

I like your colour too - the red Dr1 can easily be too bright - and I very much like the base!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
thank you ian and congrats on your modeller of the month honor.i saw your tripe too,like the color alot and your prop looks great. anyway this is the 5th eduard fokker triplane i have built since i started modelling again 10 years ago or so. they could have designed the uc better, i agree. instead of 4 different posts they could have done 2 "V"ish shaped parts that would have the angle set for you so that you could just pop it in place. also the location of the rear attachment points are vague. now i just drill a small dimple with a .7mm or so sized bit in all 4 locations then flip the craft over and align the attachments without glueing and let the glue set adjusting periodically.when i see its holding its shape then i glue the attach points with a dot of thin ca and leave it sit overnight before adding the wheels and fipping her over.once rigged it gains some strength but it is definately a weak point in the kit.

the base is a quicky 15 min base made from a plaque i got for winning at my local modelling club contest. the plaques are perfectly the right size for a small 1/48 plane.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:59:00 PM by ALBATROS1234 »

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
15 minutes for the base!!

I would be delighted if I could achieve that in 2 weeks!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
its soooo easy and haphazzard i take the base and cut to size and white glue on this paperbacked grass mat material, its plain and has no texture so when the glue drys in a few hours i smear a light coating of white glue and sprinkle 4 things.1 is a dirt mix thats brownish,one is a golden yellowish dead grass color powder fluff stuff,next is some fluffy foliage that looks alot like clovers or something and last i have a mix of grainy/pebbly greyish stuff. i apply in the order i listed them in here and there.in 7 to 8 min i am done. when that drys i spray a heavy wet coat of matt acrylic varnish to set everything. done. quicky base.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 06:16:52 PM »
Great tips, and very very effective results!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
Terrific DR1 Scott! Your choice of red is brilliant! Lovely clean work all around and the base is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dtomko

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Beautiful work, Scott.  I was also going to comment on how nice the cockpit coaming looks.  Someone once posted a file with serial numbers in the style of the upper wing spar.  I don't if it was here or the other place.

Drew

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
Excellent! I dig those red tones, usually a scheme I have a hard time getting excited about. Great to see some photos (which aren't that bad, btw)