Author Topic: A new Kiwi says hello  (Read 1582 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
A new Kiwi says hello
« on: April 29, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi all!
My name's Zac, I'm a Court Registry Officer by trade but I'm first and foremost an avgeek of the highest order. I grew up building plastic models (RC doesn't really appeal to me) and watching The Blue Max, The Great Waldo Pepper, The Battle Of Britain, The Greatest Flight and the Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow videos. I've dabbled in flying but money, weather or lack of instructors conspired against me each time. I'm all about preserved "warbirds", agricultural aircraft and helicopters, as well as an avid devourer of historical work.

I haven't built many WW1 models but, as a New Zealander and attendee at TVAL and Classic Fighters shows, it's hard to resist the Wingnut Wings line and that's chiefly what's brought me here. I have a few purchases in mind but I'm accumulating reference material and build tips/suggestions from modellers all over the web, and I've lurked here for the past week or so absorbing the range of magnificent work on offer.

My current WIPs are three post-1918 aircraft - funnily enough all Bristols - and a single "WW1" build, the Roden 1/72 Pfalz D.IIIa. I bought this in 2007 to build as the Viv Bellamy-built replica from The Blue Max and did several mods to it using the real machine as a reference, but it sat for a while. I'm now well into it once more and debating hand-painting the lozenge, buying an Encore kit to raid the decals, or finding second-hand ones...I'll post a photo or two this weekend, including the mods based on ZK-JPI I've done.

I've already posted once or twice so I figured I should show my face. I look forward to interacting with everyone and - all going well - sharing a build or two of my own.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:40:24 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: A new Kiwi says hello
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »
Welcome to the site , glad to have you here  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Hello Zac and welcome to the forum, nice to have you aboard. Looking forward to your participation with the forum and its many friendly members.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Welcome Zac.  I look forward to seeing your models.
Good to have you aboard. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
Welcome too the site Zac! I am sure you will find all you need and I am looking forward to seeing your builds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
Welcome to our little corner of the internet, Zac! I envy you living in such a beautiful part of the world and so close to TVAL.

George

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Hi Zac,
 Welcome to the forum  ;)
I look forward to seeing some of your work in the near future.

Cheers,
Bob Von Buckle  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
A local forum member! Wahoo! I never thought that was going to happen
Warm regards from Tawa, Zac
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
Welcome to the very best modelling forum on the net, Zac. I know you'll find all the info, support, and encouragement needed to get motivated here. Lots of great people make this site very special! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Verbeek

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:05:28 AM »
Orange to Kiwi, hello :)
Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
I thought I had replied but it seems to have been lost in the ether...oh well! Anyway! Thanks one and all for the warm welcome, this really is the place to be for Great War modelling online. I'm a member of several forums but no-one comes close to the skill and variety on display here.

James - I know, right? I really enjoy seeing your photos and I look forward to checking out your builds as well. Expect a PM regarding TVAL machines at some point, I'm still gathering reference photos for one of their birds as a WNW model...

George - close (four hours' drive from Hood) but not close enough! At least with forums and Facebook it's easy to keep up to speed with what they're up to.
Zac in NZ

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
Hi Zac,

another NZ modeller here - I'm in Waikanae, Kapiti. I also forgot about the TVAL Anzac flying day - must pay more attention for the next ones.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »
Welcome Zac. I guess you already know this is a great forum, but I find it a very friendly place and and an inspiration in so many ways.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 12:00:19 AM »
Ciao Zac! Welcome from Italy...

AnDonio

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
Ciao AnDonio, and thanks Nigel!

Graham - I'm sad to say I haven't been to a TVAL show for a long time, not since the debut of the Fe.2 I think. BUT I went to Omaka, so that was enough to tide me over, and has got me all excited again for Great War models and replicas/repros.

I lived at Blenheim for a few months in 2007 so I got to do some cool multiwing things down there...

Here's a teaser for the aforementioned Pfalz, anyway! When I got scared by the lozenge I started painting the model as Friedrich Rudenberg's machine (perhaps a scheme for me to consider for WNW...) but last weekend I recommenced work as the replica:

I've now discovered Aviattic has The Blue Max lozenge sheets in 1/72...my heroes!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:26:35 PM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ