Author Topic: sniped by sheperd paine  (Read 1078 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

sniped by sheperd paine
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
we all know of him and respect his work,many of us have one or more of his diorama tutorial books. well on ebay one of the things i was selling was a paine book "how to build dioramas" i noticed there was a watcher so i figured it would sell, well seconds before the listing ended a buyer came in a entered a minimum bid and won the book. this is called sniping,especially and mainly when someone else has a minimal bid and then one swoops in and slightly outbids your bid and wins the item. well so i goto the invoice and find that the buyer is actually the author good ole shep paine. i just thought it entertaining so i shared it. you would think the guy has a copy of his own book?

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: sniped by sheperd paine
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:38:22 PM »
Ha! Awesome!  8)

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:14:42 AM »
Who knows Scott, that's pretty neat, nevertheless.

I worked with a guy, Chris, who's dad belonged to the same modeling club as Shep. When Chris was young, he got personal figure painting lessons from Shep Paine, and today he's an award-winning figure painter.

Must have been nice getting personal feedback, lesson, etc. from the Master in one's youth, huh?

Warren

Kai

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:17:05 AM »
Perhaps he'll sign it, put in back on EBay and double his money?

Offline eclarson

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:06:34 AM »
Shep's not the only one!  I have been wanting an extra copy of the Airfix Model World issue with my first article (May 2011) but they are long sold out at Key Publishing.   So, I saved a search on eBay and one finally came up a couple weeks ago and of course I bought it (not sniped though as it was a Buy It Now).   ;D

Cheers,
Eric

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:50:56 AM »
That is indeed a funny story.

Shep is a great guy. I've been very fortunate to get to know him ever since we met at the World Expo in Boston in 2005 and he is wonderfully supportive and, of course, his suggestions are always spot on and amazingly valuable. He is still very active with his club in the Chicago area and they have a super show every October...which always includes an ordnance category and there are some fine model to be seen.  He often invites a bunch over to his house following and his collection of Militaria is simply amazing.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »
Perhaps he'll sign it, put in back on EBay and double his money?

well kai,that wont b hard to do i had it as a $9.99 starting bid and $24.99 but it now. the book retails for $24.99 and thats how much i paid for it at a local shop. he got it for $9.99 moments brfore the listing ended. so that could be the stategy.LOL

i was actually confused for a second as i got the email saying someone bought an item and when i opened it up i saw it said his name so i was like .ok...cool ...i sold the diorama book... then i start looking around to see where it was going and kept passing over the address etc thinking i was looking at the listing. when i realized it was he i had a nice chuckle.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Cool story, Scott!  I've been sniped before.  Not fun, if the item is something your really want.  How's the sale going, by the way?  Reaching your goal?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
i am selling some stuff, enuff to buy groceries and pay some bills, its getting dire, i pray i find work soon, i dont want to sell my whole stash.