Author Topic: 1/48 Mercedes  (Read 3975 times)

Offline radio

Re: 1/48 Mercedes
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:18 AM »
Any more detailling parts were fantastic.
Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25:45 AM »
yea mark that might be the ticket. get bo to reduce the size of his cylinder array for 160hp and 180/200hp do a replacement carb housing and pipes, another part for the compression riser pipe( one of each type) and the 2 diff rocker box cover options.to which springs could be added by the modeller(i dont know if springs could be done printed?). that would be a dream come tru. this would make great looking accurate engines for 95% of all 1/48 kits a simple process of cutting off the old cyl and sticking the new parts on. keeping the cyl spacing consistant with an eduard size engine would make all of the different kit exhausts useable too. if one wanted they could even "cap" rodens block with the new "top end" parts and dress up a roden fokker d.vii kit(s) which is the only series of kits that can use a roden sized engine without major surgery.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Not sure I agree with that, while it may be easier to just glue on some detail parts to the Eduard block you would still have an engine that is almost 1/8" too short, or 6" in actual size. (1/48 scale -1/4"=1 foot)  While it would be easier to just go with the small engine, many off us as scale modelers strive for accuracy in dimension, and I for one would not use the smaller engine unless I had to do something "out of the box".  I have done quite a few D.VII kits in my time and you can really notice the small cylinders in an Eduard kit.  The only Eduard Albatros D.V kits I have done were the first release with the metal engine, which was a larger size engine than the new tool plastic ones that first came out in the Albatros D.III?  I also checked through the loft and it seems all of the white metal engines in kits like Tom's Modelworks, Copper State and Sierra vac use the larger engine, probably based on the old Aeroclub white metal engines, that while basic, are the correct size.  So in my mind we can either use the small engine and detail it up to look nice but be inaccurate scale wise, or spend a little more time modifying the kit to make the correct size engine fit like it did in the original aircraft.  Since it is a hobby I guess we can both be right, but I'm of the type that I would probably not buy an aftermarket set for something that I knew ahead of time was not the accurate size for my build.
Dave

yea mark that might be the ticket. get bo to reduce the size of his cylinder array for 160hp and 180/200hp do a replacement carb housing and pipes, another part for the compression riser pipe( one of each type) and the 2 diff rocker box cover options.to which springs could be added by the modeller(i dont know if springs could be done printed?). that would be a dream come tru. this would make great looking accurate engines for 95% of all 1/48 kits a simple process of cutting off the old cyl and sticking the new parts on. keeping the cyl spacing consistant with an eduard size engine would make all of the different kit exhausts useable too. if one wanted they could even "cap" rodens block with the new "top end" parts and dress up a roden fokker d.vii kit(s) which is the only series of kits that can use a roden sized engine without major surgery.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
very good points dave.but to myself personally i dont get to hung up on exact scale accuracy of the eduard engine being a smidge small, i would rather have a well detailed engine that will fit in my tons of kits that i have. i dont like to think about doing surgery to every single albatroa,pfalz,fokker etc that i build. besides i doubt any of the 1/48 kits are perfect scale anyways,none fit drawings exactly,its a few mm here too short or too long plus the scale wall thickness is off on every kit ever made. to me i would absolutely love to have accurately detailed engines to fit my kits. besides this is bo doing us a favor by scaling his cylinders so that we can pay shapeways to print some for us to use on our models. i thought berman is doing a full series that will be full size for the roden d.vii,which i would use for these kits if not one of my vector or pavla engines. i just love the eduard, special hobby, etc kits and dont want to have to scrape and slice and trim in order to force the engine in and then it doesnt sit right anyway like the prop spindle doesnt line upand you cant use the kit exhaust, etc.so i must agree to disagree and hope that we both get what maks us happy in the long run.

also the eduard white metal engine is exactly the same parts as the plastic ones.i took them out to look.as for csm they did have early aeroclub stuff in some kits but i am sure that they had an eduard resin copy in at least the hb.w12 and i thought the aeg c.iv but then i did buy them second hand maybe the parts were switched around.