Author Topic: SH 1/32 Bristol M1C  (Read 2047 times)

Offline GrahamB

SH 1/32 Bristol M1C
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »
Well, it's done and it has scrubbed up nicely. I'm not happy with a a few botches like failing to notice I had not fully inserted the starboard wing before the glue had dried, and there are the usual 'hygiene' issues - but improved over previous builds.

I enjoyed this kit very much and made a few efforts to 'improve' it (mentioned in my previous posts); since then I rigged it with standard Eezyline and short attachment buckles (0.12 mm copper wire from 13-strand electric cable) for the main 'RAF wires' and straightened copper wire (0.12 mm again) for the control wires (elevators, rudder and ailerons); I added a small length of lead wire to the dynamo on the starboard u/c leg. The weathering is fairly restrained but I'm still a botcher with this and tend to rush it. The SH decals were OK but I only used the small stencils on the rudder and rear fuselage - the tire decals behaved very nicely although I did cut them into sections before applying them. National markings were painted.

Points to look for:

1. Chamfer the u/c legs where they meet the fuselage and replace lug with wire for strength.

2. Make sure the windscreen sits flush with fuselage just ahead of the raised leather coaming or it will interfere with the cabane struts - I missed this at first (although knew it should be done) but had stupidly attached the leather chin pad with superglue so it sits about 0.5 mm too low.

3. Set up wings with 4o dihedral. I went with a quoted 2o (early) but the wing-fuselage fit 'prefers' the higher (later) value. You could increase the size of the wing root fillet if there is a problem - it is quite noticeable in some period photos.

4. The small spinner fillets behind the prop blades are a poor fit and need attention.

5. The rib tapes are all too prominent on the kit and should really be sanded back quite a way - but at least it meant that shading/highlighting was not required(thanks to Tony Pritchard for this heads-up).

Cheers,

GrahamB

What next? Non-WNW again (well not-entirely)  a Roden Alb DIII with WNW wings and Pheon Jasta 30 decals (Bethge - plate 11 in Schmaling & Bock).

Photos not too good:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:51:09 AM by GrahamB »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: SH 1/32 Bristol M1C
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »
What a beauty she turned out to be, Graham!  Try as I might, I couldn't spot any unsightly gaps, globs or goofs of any sort.  She's truly one to be proud of, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
You have done a beautiful job on this model Graham, the finish you have achieved is superb and like Bud, I can't see any "botches" that you mentioned. Congratulations on presenting us with a very stunning Bristol M.1c.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
Simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing! (Some more pics or a build-log available somewhere?)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
I was feeling all sorry for myself after returning from a Sun filled holiday, but now I've perked up!
Beautiful build and finish, Graham. She looks used, but not abused and that's a nice look for an M1.C

Cheers,
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »
Very nice Graham!

Looking forward to seeing your Roden/WNW Albatros bash as I have the same project in the queue...

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
Luvlly jubbly.

Next project sounds a good one too. Checking WNW against Roden Ambie flying surfaces it's remarkable how close they match. I'd suggest from experience making new cabanes and securely pin the lower wings to fuselage. The wings match but the struts differ in length obviously.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
A lovely piece of work, graham. Well done !

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:28:43 AM »
Graham -

Outstanding work on your Bristol - and like others I cannot find the flaws either ..........

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:10:55 AM »
Looks great; any blotches must be well hidden!

Chris

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
Thanks chaps, as ever. ;D

Off-topic but  thanks to Bo and Keith for pointers about the WNW/Roden Alb DIII chimaera now on the bench. I can see that the kits' wings are very close in span and chord but there will have to be some fiddly and careful dry-fitting assembly to make sure the interplane and 'cabane' struts work out, as well as fettling the lower WNW DV wings into DIII form.

I had wanted to get the WNW Pfalz DIIIa wings for my Roden Pfalz DIII but those sprues are out of stock.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
Graham,

Theres quite a few parts you can cannibalise from a WNW D.Va including the control column, motor and more with a little modding. The controls of the DIII are similar to the D.Va and not as supplied in the Roden & the 1:48th Eduard kits too.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
Hi Keith,

yes I'll mix and match what I get with the WNW sprues - hopefully they'll arrive in the next day or so - besides sprue 'B' with the DVa wings (my main 'target' for the Roden DIII upgrade), I'm getting sprues 'A' and D (x2) - practically a whole  DVa! I've two WNW Alb DV in the stash to do a couple of other Pheon Jasta 30 birds (probably the Erbguth and Katzenstein examples -the first painted wings, the second lozenged).

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline drdave

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 08:42:14 AM »
Noice. Very noice.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 02:19:34 PM »
Outstanding Bristol Monoplane! Your work looks beautiful to my eyes. No glitches visible! Excellent color choice. Very well done indeed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler