Author Topic: WNW Pfalz DXII  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Epeeman

WNW Pfalz DXII
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:52:20 AM »
All,

Posting some pictures of my Wingnut Wings Pfalz DXII model completed this evening.   A tough build so was glad when this one was done.
I'm sorry to say that I struggled with this kit a fair bit.   I ran into a combination of problems - a couple of areas with poor fit, one screw up and one experiment that did not work too well.  I really got the impression this particular kit did not like me!! That said, not blaming the kit - this is a superb model - I just could not get this together as I would have liked or hoped for.
First area of fit problem was getting the fuselage halves to close up around the engine bay properly.  After a lot of struggling, I had to accept a less than perfect fit with a gap of about 1mm that I needed to fill.   This was OK, but this then threw out fit of parts in other areas such as the the front cowling and radiator.   The next major fit area was getting the lower wing on - much work here cutting, filing and trimming of parts until, finally, managed to get into place.   
I then screwed up getting the PE Spandua gun jackets to fit.  Got them on, but was not a great job.   Then, whilst fitting the flash guards (after fitting upper deck with guns first as per instructions) found I could not get on due to my poorly fitted jackets (barrels had a distinct droop) - as I tried to lift barrels to fit flash guard, completely crushed the PE jackets - much swearing and cursing!  Had to start all over again using the solid moulded guns which did (thankfully) fit well.
Finally, experimented using Eduard PE turnbuckles with EZ line - these did not work so well and close view reveals messy job here on my part - arghh!!
The decals are superb in these WNW kits though, so no troubles here - finished in Jasta 49 markings.
Oh well, live and learn - will move on to either Roden 32nd Spad VII or Nieuport 28 kit that are both in my stash.
As usual, entirely brush painted.  Apologies for my lack of photography skills again.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: WNW Pfalz DXII
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the build, none the less it has turned out to be a great looking model, well done mate.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
It's always good to see someone persevere and finish a model when things aren't going particularly well. In my opinion, I think you whipped the beast into great shape.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
To look at this beauty, you'd never know you had any problems with it, Dave.  She's gorgeous.  You can be truly chuffed, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your woes. WNW are wonderful but unforgiving if things are out of line and fit tolerances are fine. Aber and Master do beautiful preformed barrel jackets amd barrels if you need them in the future or could revisit them on this build.

That said she really does look fine from your pics, like us all it's easier for you to critisize your own work, after all when we build we know each and every mistake we do that others won't see. Don't be too hard on yourself, she really is quite lovely.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »
From what I can see it looks a decent job and you should be proud of your efforts.

WNW kits as KB has mentioned WNW kits do have tight tolerances and you get to know what to look out for after building a couple.

Offline michael

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »
great job Dave, i love the prop.

cheers
michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:38:36 AM »
Dave,
    Looks to my eye that you beat her into submission very well; nice job!
I have this kit and it may well be the next on the assembly line. I have found (albeit on only two WNW builds so far) that tolerances are critical. Just a layer of paint on the wrong joint can turn into a nightmare.(Many others comment on the same pitfall.....the Albatros DV and DVa for example) Any hints to keep me out of trouble??
Cheers,
Lance :-\

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:56:06 AM »
  Dave,
My friend your Pfalz is absolutely beautiful. Fit and finish are First Class craftsmanship.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 02:57:44 AM »
Many thanks, gents - very much appreciate your words of encouragement.

Lance - my best advice is to heed what others have said regarding tight tolerances.  That said, I wonder (the benefit of hindsight is wonderful) if I messed up with putting in the completed cockpit.  There are two small location holes (either side of cockpit framing) where small stud type pins extended behind cockpit framing go into.  On mine (looking now completed) these little studs have not seated flush with cockpit sidewall.  This may be key here so recommend you either trim down these studs or deepen the locating holes.

One area that went well was fitting the top wing - strongly recommend you follow the advice from Des on his build of the kit by bending the strut pins in opposite directions - this tip worked a dream.

Finally, please don't be put off from building this fine kit - I have no doubt the troubles lay with my model 'skills' and not the kit.  Good luck on it and keep us all posted on how you do, mate.

Very best regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
This one came out gorgeous in spite of your difficulties! I am still totally in awe of your brush painting skills!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:30:45 PM »
Thanks, RAGIII - kind of you to say.

Regards

Dave

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Dave, I reckon she looks mighty fine and well worth the trevails ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline chuckd

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 03:14:24 AM »
Dave - she turned out splendid.  I messed up the nose fit on mine as well, but you fixed yours wonderfully.  Great job!

Chuck

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »
Nicely done - even if you had to beat on it!!!!

Steve