Author Topic: Caquot Observation Balloon  (Read 6806 times)

Offline malaula

Caquot Observation Balloon
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:25:06 PM »
Done,finally! I've been workin'on this since 2010 ,scrapped it three times,now I declare this one finished.
The Balloon itself is the roseplane vacu,everything else except for 3 figures is scratched.
The DeLaHaye trucks have been built according to photos only,so no garanty for scale accuracy.
Figures are my own casts , some converted and some self-sculpted,one might recognize the ubiquitous Orion-officer,who is the only one I left untouched.
Got a silver medal and the visitors-choice award at Euromodelexpo last weekend for it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:43:26 PM by malaula »

Offline ermeio

Re: Caquot Observation Balloon
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »
Excellent subject in a nice and colourful diorama.
Please do more

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
Really excellent and evocative. You have a brilliant eye for staging a scene. Bravo, top class and again I am left wondering what the gold medalist could have brought to beat this.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:48:26 AM »
The vehicles and most of the figures are scratched? Amazing! I'm wondering the same thing as Bo, how could this be topped?

Maybe there's some prejudice going on since it's not your typical airplane scene. Or it's not a Spitfire.

George

Offline malaula

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:01:54 AM »
Thanks to all,much appreciated!Well,may be it's been put in the wrong class,some bloke told me it's not an airplane and it does'nt fly cause balloons are'nt flown but driven,so it's been put in the vehicles category....you know those armor guys,don't you?!
Anyway,I don't care too much about that,knowing the majority of the visitors liked this dio the most.
cheers   Mathias

Online macsporran

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:48:16 AM »
Fantastic!
Totally original.
Speechless.
S

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »
You have created an absolutely amazing scene, everything in the diorama is superb from the balloon, the figures, vehicles, trees, everything, and having so many figures around makes it a very realistic looking scene. I especially like the overhead shot.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline tinsmith

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
Fantastic! Amazing and stupendous! Perhaps someone adventurous out there might produce another Drachen, and in 1/48th: a happy medium somewhere between WnW -- and too small for these eyes!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »
What a super piece of work Malaula! Well-deserving of all the praise here.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 04:45:44 AM »
Those fools!  It is an aircraft.  It's a craft and it is in the air, ergo, "aircraft".  Whatever.  It's a masterpiece regardless of category, Matz!  A true example of modeling genius.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Brez

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Well it gets gold here! A truly amazing diorama, as Bud so rightly says - a masterpiece.

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:55 AM »
Your Diorama is beautifully rendered! The figures, trucks, groundwork and scenery set a terrific scene for the OUTSTANDING Balloon!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 05:14:06 AM »
Wow!

Your diorama really is truly excellent.  A very different scene to boot as well!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
Thanks to all,much appreciated!Well,may be it's been put in the wrong class,some bloke told me it's not an airplane and it does'nt fly cause balloons are'nt flown but driven,so it's been put in the vehicles category....you know those armor guys,don't you?!
Anyway,I don't care too much about that,knowing the majority of the visitors liked this dio the most.
cheers   Mathias

Have you seen the Delahaye balloon winch truck at the Auto und Technik museum in Speyer? I have some photos of it (somewhere!) if you are interested in seeing them
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:42:19 PM by Tony Haycock »

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 01:57:03 AM »
Wow...the imagery, the story told, the frozen moment...so very dramatic...wonderful. My favorite shot/angle depicting all of that is the 7th one down that is looking back up the road...gives it a late afternoon glow....rather like a painting. Beautiful, Mathias.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde