Author Topic: 1/32 Japanese "Willow" Type 93 K5Y2 Floatplane kit from Doyusha?  (Read 1606 times)

Michael Scarborough

Hello all,

Has anyone built any of the kits of this Japanese trainer floatplane? I see it listed as coming from Nitto as well as Doyusha and wonder if it is simply a reboxing?

If anyone can shed light, pls do so.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline ermeio

Re: 1/32 Japanese "Willow" Type 93 K5Y2 Floatplane kit from Doyusha?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:46 AM »
I had a doyusha without floats and an old nitto with floats and they were the same (if my memory works).....

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:24:23 AM »
Ermeio, what was the quality like??

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:44 AM »
Ermeio, what was the quality like??

Michael,
As far as I recall the quality was very good for the time though I do remember some fit issues. By todays,(WNW), standards they are very BASIC, interior details are sparse and somewhat heavy handed. I have seen them built to very high standards. I remember a Very old Modeling Magazine that built the non float version as a Barnstormer. It was interesting and nice for the time. IHTH,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
OK,

Thanks RAG.....I had a feeling that was the case. It's pretty amazing how everything has sort of gone from B.WnW to A.WnW. I really like this plane so will at least get one to have for a time when I'm feeling ready to tackle a big project.

Cheers

mike in calif

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
Given some of the "re-release" prices, I'd be haunting shows looking for one. The odd thing is how kits seem to go in and out as to their easy to find/cheap price availability. They seem to cycle. WNW kits seem to be steady at 5$ off list at the shows around here, and they don't come up too often- maybe 1-3 per show.
  I did find a good reference for the Willow: Arawasi  Eagle Eye series #2. This covers the k5y1 and -2, and includes well written text, many B&W photos, color illustrations, plans, markings, and a brief rundown of kits. ISBN 978-4-9904647-2-1

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »
Hey out there, Mike,

Well, believe it or not, I found it on Amazon! Hah! I have a yen for Japanese AC and to find an older bi-plane is fine. Also, when I was a little kid growing up in that magical country, my favorite song was about the Red Dragonfly/ Akatomobo......which is what this plane is called.....had to get one!

I saw a mention to the reference you mention and will probably pick one up. Many thanks for seconding the thought.

Cheers,
Michael

mike in calif

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »
No worries Michael, a good reference for a semi-obscure kit is a must! A very good amount of info regarding Japanese flying in the 1930s and 40s.