Author Topic: Need images of JAAS Sopwith Pups used in training  (Read 659 times)

Michael Scarborough

Need images of JAAS Sopwith Pups used in training
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:59 PM »
I'm doing a WnW JAAS Sopwith Pup and have now decided to finish it as one that would have been used in a training unit. I need info re: the markings that would have been used to designate it, or similar aircraft, as trainers. So, even if I can't find images of a specific plane, I'd be glad for info on how trainers used in Japan in the late 19teens or 1920s were marked.

I have been able to come up with images of Pups used in service units but nothing yet specifically for a training unit.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Rob_Owens

Re: Need images of JAAS Sopwith Pups used in training
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »
Given that, at that time, there would have been no huge difference in performance between trainer and operational types, would there  even have BEEN dedicated Pup (or Nieuport, or SPAD) "training" (either IJN or IJA) units? Might the "on Type" training simply have been left to the operational units? Also, given the relative size (numbers & budget) of peacetime Japanese (and every other nation's 1920's, for that matter) air arms, would it have made fiscal sense to maintain front-line types in dedicated training units?

Dunno, but you asked for thoughts. . .

Regards, Rob

Michael Scarborough

Re: Need images of JAAS Sopwith Pups used in training
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
This all makes sense to me, Rob...and I appreciate you weighing in.

I wonder if dedicated training aircraft for the Japanese didn't begin until the Willow arrived? It's an interesting topic and one which I will investigate.

Cheers from NYC,
MIchael