Author Topic: Home Laser Cutter  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
Re: Home Laser Cutter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 02:18:44 AM »
I could foresee the 3-D printers cutting (sic) into the PE market in a big way.   Just check out Gaspatch's Spandau.   

If Corel Draw drove both the 3-D Printer and the Laser Cutter, that could be worth a license.  But at age 56, I would have to learn CAD CAM on top of buying the 3D printer, so it would be more cost efficient to rely on Gaspatch and others to make the bits I need.

Offline zavod44

Re: Home Laser Cutter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 07:03:13 AM »
These 3D printer companies that sell these home printers (Makerbot, Cube, etc) try to make it seem so easy.  The machines are $1800-$3000 and over.  The reality of those machines is they don't really print nice parts.  Certainly not good enough for what we like to do. The resolution is not good.  But you still need to have a program to actually draw the parts and have the skills to do so.  Those programs are expensive on their own.  The parts that Bo is having made are being made on a machine that is over $125,000.  We are looking at a similar machine to buy for work and it is expensive.  There is a big difference between $1,800 and $125,000.  Having the data is the important thing and having good programs to draw can be very pricey.  So I think the home 3D printer thing is still not real practical at this point.  Maybe in a few years the resolution will be better and the price will be cheaper.