Author Topic: Home Laser Cutter  (Read 2080 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Home Laser Cutter
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:15 AM »
oh I need one of those. :)

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:39:14 AM »
Yes, me too!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:23:36 AM »
too bad it is powered by corelDraw (and windows) … oh well… I could live with that.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
Cool , do your on PE parts at home !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
I saw that in an e-mail from Micromark when I got home, and my first thought was that some of y'all would be all over this. Looks like I was right. :)

Warren

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
Sorry Terri, it won't cut metal, I had the same thoughts as you did when I first saw it thinking this would be a great tool for making PE, but, no go, maybe oneday.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ondra

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
I was thinking in the same direction, but obviously it will not be able to cut metal, as Des mentioned.

On the other hand, if it is capable of cutting a plastic sheet - who says those tiny parts have to be made from brass? ;)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
I was thinking in the same direction, but obviously it will not be able to cut metal, as Des mentioned.

On the other hand, if it is capable of cutting a plastic sheet - who says those tiny parts have to be made from brass? ;)

And you can do kitchen sink PE already with their PE kit. It's not going to look like stuff you get from Eduard, but you can definitely make useful parts as I think I have shown. It is a bit of a production, but so is a $2000 laser cutter :)

Offline zavod44

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
too bad it is powered by corelDraw (and windows) … oh well… I could live with that.

Corel accepts AI files, as well as a lots of other file types.  We use Corel on the laser at work.  I usually just draw the stuff in AI, then import it.  Corel is pretty user friendly.   The laser is obviously only gonna make 2D stuff anyhow so your drawing programs don't have to be that complicated. 

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:42:26 AM »

Corel accepts AI files, as well as a lots of other file types.  We use Corel on the laser at work.  I usually just draw the stuff in AI, then import it.  Corel is pretty user friendly.   The laser is obviously only gonna make 2D stuff anyhow so your drawing programs don't have to be that complicated.

Yeah, I get all that, but it (the home laser cutter) requires a license for Corel as a driver which I would never otherwise use. ..

Offline zavod44

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 01:39:54 AM »

Wouldn't you use it to run the laser?

Yeah, I get all that, but it (the home laser cutter) requires a license for Corel as a driver which I would never otherwise use. ..

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:24:00 AM »

I'm just saying -- they are basically forcing me to buy a $200+ software package that is completely redundant to me, as I use AI already. There's no good reason why you would need a specific vector art program as a device driver. and I'd much rather drive it off one of my macs, but oh well...

Offline zavod44

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 04:05:10 AM »

I'm just saying -- they are basically forcing me to buy a $200+ software package that is completely redundant to me, as I use AI already. There's no good reason why you would need a specific vector art program as a device driver. and I'd much rather drive it off one of my macs, but oh well...

Most machine tools don't work that way.  Illustrator doesn't tell the laser how to run, it just makes the data the laser can see.  You need to buy their software to run the machine.  I think every machine we have in the shop works that way.  It's not like you can plug a Mac into a CNC machine and it will run it, the mac isn't designed to tell a mill to go up and down and back and fourth....the machine has it's own software to operate it.   

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 05:22:13 AM »

Most machine tools don't work that way.  Illustrator doesn't tell the laser how to run, it just makes the data the laser can see.  You need to buy their software to run the machine.  I think every machine we have in the shop works that way.  It's not like you can plug a Mac into a CNC machine and it will run it, the mac isn't designed to tell a mill to go up and down and back and fourth....the machine has it's own software to operate it.   

Yes exactly, I know what a driver is ;). But apparently the driver for this machine is a corelDraw plugin, instead of a standalone driver. Anyway...