Author Topic: 1/28 Spad XIII Decals  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Cajun

1/28 Spad XIII Decals
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
Having acquired the re-release of the Spad XIII in 1/28.... It has Italian and some other markings for the decals.... 

Wass really hoping for Frank Luke or a French ace.

Anyone knows who makes aftermarket for this plane? Ive tried searching but came up with nothing

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1/28 Spad XIII Decals
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Try Copper State Models , they do decals in 28 scale

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
Terri is correct go here:  http://www.copperstatemodels.com/

Then the website is kind of hard to navigate but at the top there is a tab for products, then put in 1/28 scale and click on decals.  they have Frank Luke and Eddie Rickenbacker decals still available.

Offline Cajun

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
Yall are awesome. Thanks!

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
You can always keep an eye on evil-bay to see if anyone is letting go of some long OOP Americal-Gryphon decals. If memory serves, Dr. Merrill did some 1/28th sets.

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:56 AM »
Hey...while this subject is fresh in everyone's minds......RE: Eddie R'backer and Frank Luke.....I see that Copper State does markings for both pilots but where does one find a good source for what the camo. differences between these two planes would be?

I will rummage through my datafiles but just wondering if an answer I fresh in someone's brain out there.

Cheers from NYC, y'all,
Michael

PS Cajun, meh, where you be livin' at, cher?

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »
Michael,
            If memory serves me correctly, I believe the old FMP book on MOH winners has profiles. Other than that, we/you/etc. just need to determine which of their mounts was produced by which manufacturer to get the camo pattern, colors for roundels, etc.

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
OK, thanks, man......I've reconnected with and old HS buddy who has a few of the 1/28 SPAD kits and we've decided to do a über-mini-group (like 2 people) build. I know NADA about SPADs except that I have always liked the look of them and their connection with our countries history in WWI. So, I will start digging.

Thanks,
MS

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
PS.....since Neil and I both went to HS in the town that Reed Chambers lived in, I may see what I can find on his plane.

Cheers

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
Michael,
            I don't have much on SPADS, but I have some. I'm eye-deep in Noop stuff right now, but let me know if there's anything you need pard.

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
OK, thanks.....'preciate it!

Offline davecww1

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »
Hi Michael,
Glad to hear you are doing a SPAD XIII especially in Reed Chambers markings.  knowing your artistic abilities I would recommend this one:

You can cut stencils for the many stars in the nose and tail and by the time you are done you will never have to worry about "which camouflage was used".  Do not forget though, the Revell SPAD XIII has the early rounded wingtips, in order to properly build any of the aircraft flown by Rickenbacker, Luke or Chambers you need to modify them to the squared off late style wingtips. 
Dave

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
Hello, Dave,

Well, thank you for the endorsement, Dave! Much appreciated

I will need to have my build partner agree on which one we do, but, at some point, I will certainly do a SPAD in Chambers very Patriotic markings!

Thanks also for the tips re: the wing tips. As the build actually draws close to starting, I will do the proper do diligence and confirm all these necessary tweaks to the venerable old kit.

Cheers,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 12:00:04 PM »
Yes those SPADs are beautiful... It's all about those thin wings... mmmmmmmmm

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »
Is there a good 1/32 kit? Do we dare hope for one from WnW?

Neal and I are going to do this 1/28 build using kits and after mkt bits he and his dad purchased over the years. My dad was a huge WWI aero buff and I remember his collection of Leach prints, including the one of Frank Luke. So, for me, it is such an iconic airplane, and so identifiable with my childhood and our forces in WWI, I really hope to do a couple down the line......and in 1/32 to go with the rest of my growing collection.