Author Topic: SE 5a catastrophe - any ideas?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

SE 5a catastrophe - any ideas?
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
Oh dear!

I recently began work on the glorious WNWSE 5a  'Hisso' and was making reasonable, if slow progress, on parts of the fuselage. However, I became dissatisfied with the way I had captured the wood effect; it wasn't 't bad but I felt that I usually do better. In looking to remove what I had done, I carelessly used a cocktail of solvents which reacted very badly with the plastic and ruined various pieces.

While I can cope with the damage to fuselage halves D6 and D8 by reluctantly replacing them with D1 and D4, I am stuck in relation to several other pieces: A32, A35, A36, A40, A47 (essentially the engine support frames, and the cockpit floor, seat and bulkhead) and probably D9 (the upper fuselage/cockpit cover).

My first port of call was WNW but I have learned today that the Hisso spare/replacement sprues are out of stock.

So, I just wonder if anyone has any ideas. In terms of options, I fear that my scratch building skills are not up to capturing the complexities of the curvature in certain cases. Maybe an AM enterprise has produced a replacement seat? Maybe a fellow forum member has started, but lost interest in a WNW SE 5a and would be prepared to part with these pieces? Who knows. If the latter, I would, of course, pay for them and any postage.

I'm usually so careful a builder and curse my clumsiness in this case.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline petrov27

Re: SE 5a catastrophe - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
I have a Roden SE that I will be unlikely to finish that I could check and pull similar parts from for you but doubtful they would fit?
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:15:03 AM »
I have a WNW SE5a on the way. ( Should Arrive this week). I will not be using the wrinkled fuselage halves and if I am reading your post correctly they are the ones you are after? I also have a resin upper fuselage from the encore kit that I think could be Modified to fit the WNW version. I will compare when the kit gets here. I will also look at how difficult it is to make patterns from the originals for your other parts although Bo or another more skilled scratch builder would do them more justice I am sure. I have pretty much replaced the seat and rear bulkhead/back rest in the Encore kit. Not to Bos standards but OK. If no one else has a better solution I will get back to you soon.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:16:45 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:42:19 AM »
If you need scans of the parts I could do that this weekend if you want to try making out of styrene sheet.
James

Kai

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »
PART of Poland offer a huge PE set that may provide some of the parts you needed.

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 05:13:37 AM »
If it was me, and it has been me for this exact kit I'd buy another one and when it sells out you'll have a load of spare sprues that you'll be able to coin in on suckers who are as clumsy as I've been.  ;)

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »
May I just thank those who have responded, and in particular to Petrov27, Rick and James for their generous offers. Thanks also to Kai for mentioning the PART PE set.

I want to give myself a day or two to think best how to proceed, but one thing is certain and that is that with such forum friends, my determination to get this SE 5a off the ground, metaphorically at least, is stronger than ever.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline zavod44

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:38:30 PM »
I think it was a kitrastrophy.......to soon :)?   Good luck...sounds like your on the right track to getting this worked out

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:17:57 AM »
No, never too soon for a smile zavod!it made me laugh.  In fact I did some digging in the garden this morning to clear my thinking and this evening began work on trying to salvage the situation. Thank you for your good wishes.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline mgunns

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:44:47 AM »
Hello Nigel:

No guarentees as I am at work, but when I get home, I will see what I have as far as the parts you are looking for.  I do have the Encore cockpit coming for the McCudden SE.5 if you would want to try that option.  I am not going to use it, it's yours if you want.  I will also see what else I have and report back.

Good Luck
Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline zavod44

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 04:12:22 AM »
No, never too soon for a smile zavod!it made me laugh.  In fact I did some digging in the garden this morning to clear my thinking and this evening began work on trying to salvage the situation. Thank you for your good wishes.

Best wishes
Nigel

:) :) :)

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Hello Nigel:

No guarentees as I am at work, but when I get home, I will see what I have as far as the parts you are looking for.  I do have the Encore cockpit coming for the McCudden SE.5 if you would want to try that option.  I am not going to use it, it's yours if you want.  I will also see what else I have and report back.

Good Luck
Mark

Thank you so much for your kind offer Mark. I've spent the second consecutive evening trying to clean up the mess. I'll see how that goes first and if it bears no fruit then may well come back to the offers made. I really appreciate the sort of kindness and support you and others have shown.

Best wishes
Nigel