Author Topic: Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1  (Read 25750 times)

Offline IanB

Re: Joystick 1/72 Albatros C.1
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 08:06:03 AM »
No problem, thanks for pointing out the differences!

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
Even though it is only primer a coat of paint makes all the difference, it is looking really good Dan.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:24 AM »
Looks very beautiful Dan.
Martin

Online RAGIII

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
This one is looking better with each update. Absolutely stunning work in any scale!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Danh4

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:02 AM »
Thanks guys, things are still going along pretty well with it.  Last night I put it all back in the jig so I could fit the upper wing panels and that worked out really well, I was able to drill into the root ends for the wires on the cabane struts and now I could glue them in place and fit all the interplane stuts if I wanted to, but I still have a little work to do on the fuselage before I commit to mounting the wings.

For one thing I want to rethink the way I was going to mount the radiators, I had it all wrong and have some holes to fill and sand.  I think now I will just sand them even thinner and mount them with some thin standoffs and forget about trying to replicate all the plumbing!

I also need to decide on a color scheme which I'm having a bit of trouble with- I would like to do an overall light blue machine but haven't come across any definitive photos or profiles of a particular aircraft.  I've also seen some other models on the 'Net that are mostly light blue but have medium gray on the fuselage top and sometimes the upper surfaces of the wings as well.  I kinda like the look of the overall light blue, maybe with all the struts, braces and metalwork in gray/green.  I may end up doing a "generic" type model along those lines.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, it is appreciated!

-Dan

Offline vincentm

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 02:44:39 AM »
Very nice and crisp detailing. I see that Roden spare engines always end up being useful.

Offline Danh4

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
I got about as much done on this as I could before I had to put some paint on it, so that's what I've been doing the last couple of evenings.  I just pulled the masking tape off after painting the pale blue on the fuselage sides and bottom (wings and struts too).  The upper surfaces are a medium gray.

I've got a markings scheme in mind based on a profile I found on the Internet and I've done some work in Photoshop so that I can print my own decals, hopefully that won't be a disaster!

-Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
Nice work! The fusalage sides look sharp compared to the usual roundness of vacs.

WarrenD

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
Nice work! The fusalage sides look sharp compared to the usual roundness of vacs.

Exactly!

Warren

Offline Danh4

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2015, 09:05:48 AM »
This project was a lot of fun until it came time to put all those struts in place.  Actually it wasn't that bad but I made a monumental error which complicated things a bit.  Somehow I drilled the upper mounting holes for the outer set of struts on one side WAY off and didn't discover it until I already had the inner set of struts glued in place.  I was able to get a drill bit into the correct spots and make new holes but only because of the unequal length wings- thanks Albatros!

Oh, and I got all the decals on too!  They worked fairly well considering I printed them myself on my cheap laser printer.  For some reason I couldn't get a good dense black on the white decal paper but I could on clear so I printed an extra set on clear and doubled up all the Maltese crosses

-Dan

WarrenD

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
Dan, that color-scheme makes her look very elegant and sophisticated IMHO.  You've done a beautiful job.

Warren

Offline IanB

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous, very nice work indeed!

Ian

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »
Agreed, agreed...man I want to get back on my AEG!

Looks great, Dan...

Dan

Offline Danh4

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
Thanks guys!

Dan- you should definitely get going on that AEG!  I'm already thinking about putting what I'm learning from this one into the next one, this stuff is fun!

-Dan