Author Topic: Gun finishing tips  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Moonpuppy

Re: Gun finishing tips
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 01:34:59 AM »

I have a love hate relationship with AlcladII. Love the results but I generally hate it when I screw it up. The High Shine line of AlcladII does require a very glossy black or, depending on the effect you want, whatever color you'd like to use.

Anyone using the Humbrol Metal Coat Gunmetal?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:21:11 AM by Moonpuppy »

Offline jknaus

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 05:33:11 AM »
I know a lot of people use Alclad metallic colours but they make my skin crawl. So is there an acrylic alternative? Right now I use Tamiya Aluminum or steel and then hand paint with vallejo.
James

You mean they physically make you sick?

I haven't found a water-based paint that looks as good as Alclad metallics. It's all down to the particle size.

Not sick Bo, but skin crawls. Same as in the summer when I drive by the flight line the Jet fuel makes my skin crawl. Probably to much time around engines and I'm getting sensitive to the solvents and gasses. I've switched almost 100% to acrylics now. I guess I'll keep on with the Tamiya paint.
James

Offline jknaus

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
I'll look for those. Thanks.
James

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
Mr Metal Colors make a good range of lacquer based metallic paints. They spray beautifully, dry nearly instantly and can be buffed to a really nice sheen if required, I have used their iron and dark iron on my guns with highlights of stainless, looks quite good. As with all lacquer paints a good respirator is needed when spraying.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petrov27

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 02:29:38 AM »
Never seen those Vallejo alcohol metallics before; do you just use isopropryl alcohol to thin for airbrushing them?
-Patrick

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
Not all guns were all black/metal. There's an example of a Vickers in the RAF museum, at Hendon, that has the cooling jacket painted a kind of khaki drab colour. I can't remember if the display stated exactly what aircraft it came off but it was the type for use on aircraft and was in the WW1 display, in the Graham-White building.

WarrenD

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
Squiffy, if you look at my previous post, I noted that some Vickers I had seen had a khaki or drab finish, BUT their provenance was uncertain at best, etc. I've seen parkerized U.S. rifles from WWI, yet parkerizing wasn't used here until postwar. Of course, they have been refinished postwar. (They went wild with it, parkerizing everything in sight they could find, LOL!  Even Indian Wars bayonets for Trapdoor Springfields.)

Warren

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
Never seen those Vallejo alcohol metallics before; do you just use isopropryl alcohol to thin for airbrushing them?

No need to thin them . They are for airbrushing , I use their copper .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
have you ever tryed humbrol metal cote gunmetal? its a buffing metallizer. you spray it and it looks like super flat charcoal color. then you buff it with a old paintbrush. i use dedicated brush to do this and also humbrol metal cote steel. the brushs you use to buff saturted with metallic pigment and can be used to drybrush.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »
I have used the Humbrol Metal Cote colours and find them to be pretty good, can be buffed after only 20 minutes.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:53 PM »
in the case of machine guns, WNW thoughtfully includes a set of styrene jacketed spares that are perfect for the task

Now i know why they are included at all - i still have to see a build where the non-PE Spandaus are used...

Stefan

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 02:55:36 AM »

Alclad aluminum base coat / alclad trans. blue / alclad trans. red / topped w/ custom mix of tamiya nato black, smoke & gloss black. Still need a little graphite to pick out the deets.

Bo-san,
Do I assume correctly that you mean that the Alumn., blue and red are applied in succession? Re: the Alclad colored transparents.....do you feel Tamiya clears would work as well?

Also, can you go into a little more detail re: your custom mix....ratio and thinning. Is it a wash? Brush or airbrush applied?

Thank you, Sensei,
Grasshopper

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »
Bo-san,
Do I assume correctly that you mean that the Alumn., blue and red are applied in succession?

yepper

Re: the Alclad colored transparents.....do you feel Tamiya clears would work as well?

The alclad goes on thinner, colors are a little bit different. I use both from time to time.

Also, can you go into a little more detail re: your custom mix....ratio and thinning. Is it a wash? Brush or airbrush applied?

applied by airbrush, thinned to skim milk consistency with tamiya X-10, but i didn't keep notes on the color ratios, simply mixed to "taste"… probably roughly 1:2:1 (?)

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 04:05:49 AM »
Am I the only one who keeps reading the thread title as "Gun fishing trips"???

I keep having these flash visions of our US stalwarts on the forum, all armed with shotguns, handguns, assault rifles (like all American men, right?) sitting in a boat drifting down a river firing randomly into the water.......

Sorry, just thought I'd share.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 04:11:40 AM »
assault rifles (like all American men, right?) sitting in a boat drifting down a river firing randomly into the water.......

Yer, Damn Right, Pard.......yew gotta problem with that, Limey? >:(

(XXXOOO!!)
(PS Dee-cals arrived, merci beaucoup, mon ami!)