Author Topic: Detail of a Felixstowe  (Read 3009 times)

Offline AndrewS

Detail of a Felixstowe
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »
Hi!

While searching some pictures of Felixstowe for my next build, I've found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_bwwvEib8&t=259

As you can see there's something "strange" sticking out from the right gunner opening.
It looks like an horn, connected by a tube to something that looks like a generator.
I've never seen this anywhere. What is it?  :o

Thanks!

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:55:59 PM by AndrewS »

Offline eclarson

Re: Detail of a Felixstowe
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
Very interesting!  It definitely looks like a horn.  Maybe a warning horn for when operating on the water in low-visibility situations?  It is a "boat" after all.  :)

Eric

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »
Could be a megaphone for whatever purpose ?

Cheers
Andrew

Offline malaula

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
looks like a Claxon-siren to me
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:29:24 AM by malaula »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:50:51 AM »
looks like a Claxon-sirene to me
Same here.  Maybe to warn ships of an attack?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:56:59 AM »
I agree that it looks like a claxon but I'd bet it is for fog conditions if they were moored.

Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:02:21 AM »
I agree that it looks like a claxon but I'd bet it is for fog conditions if they were moored.

Michael

Hmmm, I dunno, the wind generator wouldn't make sense in that case. If they really are connected.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »
A fog horn makes sense, I can see the benefits of having one fitted, but I could be wrong  ???

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »

Michael

Hmmm, I dunno, the wind generator wouldn't make sense in that case. If they really are connected.

I don't think it's a generator, more likely a compressor. That would make more sense for a horn. If it is a generator then the motor on the other end must draw one hell of a current to need such a thick cable. Either way, it's of no use when moored, so must be to sound a warning from the air.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 05:22:24 PM »

Michael

I don't think it's a generator, more likely a compressor. That would make more sense for a horn. If it is a generator then the motor on the other end must draw one hell of a current to need such a thick cable. Either way, it's of no use when moored, so must be to sound a warning from the air.

yeah, a compressor is more realistic...

And what about the tube that emerges under the wing just in front of the horn, it doesn't llok like a standard Felixstowe item. Or am I wrong?

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
And what about the tube that emerges under the wing just in front of the horn, it doesn't llok like a standard Felixstowe item. Or am I wrong?

It is for a bomb release mechanism, a standard device.

Very interesting topic, it would be great to know, what boat is it and when it was photographed. The number on the trolley 4060 may be indicative, but not necessarily.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »
But it's not a compressor -- it's clearly a wind-driven generator. A compressor looks nothing like that. Is there even such a thing as a wind-driven compressor?

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
But it's not a compressor -- it's clearly a wind-driven generator. A compressor looks nothing like that. Is there even such a thing as a wind-driven compressor?

well, could be...

this one was on the Salmson

https://www.flickr.com/photos/landoni/7483155454/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Oh wow. Hmm maybe it is a compressor  :-[

:)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:03 PM »
looks like a Claxon-sirene to me

It would make sense. having worked in the Oil and Gas Industry in remote areas I've worked with our Provincial Airborne Fire Fighters, their "Bird Dog" or control and direction aircraft use an airborne siren on their spotting runs to alert personnel in the area to take cover as the water Bombers roll in. It's very effective, you can't miss it no matter how busy you are and a similar set up on the "Felix" would aid communication to surface vessels. Did the Felixstowes use an air to surface RT resource?
Cheers,
Lance