Author Topic: looking for 1/48 Spad decals  (Read 1048 times)

Offline sirraman

looking for 1/48 Spad decals
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:22 AM »
Greetings,

I was hoping to get the decals from someone for the for this unit of this Spad aircraft, if mabey someone has them in their spares box.

link   http://www.wwiaviation.com/popup/spad-s7-coq.html

Thanks.

Offline tinsmith

Re: looking for 1/48 Spad decals
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:57:09 AM »
One source is the Glencoe (Aurora re-issue) 1/48 Spad XIII "French Aces" #05118 kit... it has at least the rooster, French tri-colour rudder and "S" decals, and may be had on evil-bay for anywhere from $5 to $20, with a similar fuselage "4" available with the decal sheet included with the Glencoe/Aircam "SPAD SCOUTS SV11-SX111" book, found on Amazon for $5 on up.
~ Ben

Offline sirraman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 06:00:40 AM »
I would take any pilot decals from the rooster unit. I just like the rooster motif.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
If you're looking a SPAD XIII in 1/48th, I think the easiest route would be to acquire Eduard's #8197 SPAD XIII, Early version (w/rounded wingtips) which includes an option for SPA 48. I've got a spare set for 'Red 7' (which some argue may have actually been 'Black 7') from Aeromaster's "SPADs" 48-075, but if you're looking for accuracy and you would still need the rounded wingtips. Can be done from a square wing with some good plans and a bit of elbow grease, but that wouldn't my first choice.

If you're planning a SPAD VII, I've also got a SPA 48 option from Aeromaster's 48-576 "Italo-French SPAD Aces" that I can spare.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline sirraman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
I was planning on trying to convert the lower priced Revell Germany Spad kit, do you know if is possible to convert it to the round wingtip spad? I am having trouble locating the early spad kit by Eduard. I probably should post that I want to buy that kit on the forum if the conversion is too daunting a task.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:38:16 PM by sirraman »

Offline Vickers

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:56:29 AM »
Do you have a decent set of plans to compare the wings?  The rounded tips were slightly longer, so depending on whether you're a stickler for accuracy it will involve more than simply rounding off the "corners" of the later wings. The drawings in Windsock Datafile No. 32 display the differences pretty well and from what I see it seems that Eduard did a good job in rendering the shapes and dimmensions.  Here's a couple of photos of the two Eduard versions edge-to-edge:

Offline sirraman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 03:10:45 AM »
That is a significant difference for sure. Mabey I will double my efforts to find a  early kit to avoid the headach of converting the wing. Is the bottom wing different also?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:17:20 AM by sirraman »

Offline Vickers

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 04:16:17 AM »
Yes, the lower wings follow the same pattern:

Offline sirraman

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 04:46:14 AM »
It looks as though I will need to find the Eduard early Spad LOL!

Offline Vickers

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
Several on eBay in 1/72nd, but if 1/48th is your scale of choice then I'd check it every so often and see if one pops up. However, if you get tired of waiting and decide to backdate a later variant or go with a Special Hobby S.VII, I'll still have the SPA 48 decals you'd need for either one. Hit me up via message here on the board if and when the time comes.

Offline sirraman

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »
Vickers,

I found one at HLJ, so I am good I think. You said you thought the red seven should be black? Also was the cowling really blue as depicted on the box or white like some renditions online?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:26:58 AM by sirraman »

Offline Vickers

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:19:03 PM »
Cool! Glad you found one.  The only SPA 48 machines that I've seen depicted with a blue cowling is the SPAD VII "Black 2", flown by Armand de Turrene that was the main subject of Iain Wylie's cover art for Osprey's Aircraft Of The Aces, Vol 39 -and- the SPAD XIII flown by Roques on Eduard's box art. Osprey's Vol 47 (S.XII & S.XIII Aces) has some photos of them as well and the one flown by Roques appears to have a white cowling. I don't know what inspired Mr. Wylie to put de Turrene's cowling in blue, nor do I know why Aeromaster printed their a/c numbers red.

Of the SPA 48 photos I've seen, all of the cowlings appear to be white. As for the colors of the individual aircraft numbers, on CDL covered SPADs they all look black to me when compared to the unit insignia and rudder markings, whereas on their camouflaged machines they appear to be white.

Please keep in mind that I'm certainly no expert on this stuff; just sharing what I can see in my various references, only a few of which have good photos from SPA 48.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:25:14 PM by Vickers »