Author Topic: Latest purchases  (Read 3274 times)

Offline stevie g

Latest purchases
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:37:48 PM »
Ok,
     So I just pushed the "add to cart" on some Wingnut goodness, I had been waiting for the release of the AEG but like many I was ( honestly) shocked by the price, and yes I admit, I was one of the foot stampers on a couple of threads on this very forum.
     Now that things have cooled down somewhat, yes, I can see that the price of the AEG is probably realistic for what you are getting ( a truly amazing state of the art injection moulded kit of a subject that not so long ago would have been nothing but a dream never to be realised ) that and the fact that the Gotha GIV that we all compared it to was probably considerably underpriced ( a real bargain people, get em while they are hot !! )
      So, did I spring for an early or late AEG ? Well....actually neither, I chose instead a Roland VIa, Roland C.II and a Fokker DVII alb, all of which came to just $20 or so more than 1 AEG, absolute bloody bargain in my book. I may get an AEG one day, but first I'll complete the list of existing single seat and two seat subjects I want ( some of them more than one ) before then.
   Come on postie, don't spare the horses !!!

Online RAGIII

Re: Latest purchases
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
Funny, but I just justified a purchase myself. I got my annual Bonus and couldn't resist.... No not a W12,Felixstowe, AEG, etc. Ordered an SE5a and a Salmson. Needed the Salmson to go with the Pheon Decals and Aviattic figures I already have  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
Neither of my latest purchases are Wingnuts kits. The AEG may be a masterpiece but it's outside my current budget. Instead I bought the Eduard 1/48th Siemens Schuckert D.III (new tool) and the Special Hobby 1/32 Bristol M.1c. The latter was a bargain at $A 57. Message to Wingnuts- don't bother doing a Bristol M.1c guys, Special Hobby hit it out of the ballpark with their kit, absolute jewel!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »
You're thinking like me, stevie g. I was holding off on making any new purchases while I waited to see the price of the AEG. Yes, I suffered from the sticker shock that most of us did. I still will probably get one in the future, but now I'm looking at getting a few that I've been putting off. I have no water craft, so a W.12 is on my radar, and a nice little pusher like the DH.2 would be fun to build. Together they would be $60 cheaper than the AEG. Wingnuts will get my money one way or another!  ;D

George

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
I think higher price points were inevitable as they continued to raise our, and perhaps their own, expectations. If the AEG had been engineered / simplified to come in at a $149 price point we would have been disappointed with the kit.

Justin,
I can't disagree with you at all. That being said I went for Models I would build at the OLDER lower prices  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline stevie g

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
pgtaylorart, get the DH.2 ! It's an absolute jewel of a kit, Red Barron, you are absolutely right  and I am glad Wingnuts make kits based on "the BEST of everything, no expense spared" rather than trying to come in under a budget. Long live Wingnut wings !!!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »
Like David, I just purchased the new 1:32 scale Special Hobby Bristol M.1c and like David said, don't bother making one Wingnuts, this Special Hobby kit is an absolute jewel. Our Aussie dollar dropped again today so the AEG just got pushed further down the track, it is now way out of reach.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Kai

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
It's funny how kits appear more or less attractive because of exchange rate movements.

Maybe they've always been too cheap because the dollar was too weak for too long?

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Yes, having weighed up the odds, I also decided to go small(er) rather than shelling out for an AEG. The first outcome of such a policy has been to acquire a gorgeous WNW Brisfit. What next I wonder?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Derrick

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:32:56 PM »
Once I do my income taxes, I will see if I get any money back, then check the exchange rate plus a moment of madness to see whether I get an AEG. I would like to get the Bristol from Special Hobby once I find a good online price, but that will be a couple of months away at the least.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:56:26 PM »
I bought the AEG, and I thought it was very expensive.  I'm not sure I still agree with the price.  Yes we can all say it's wonderfully engineered....which it is, we can say it's incredible...which it is, we can say it has a lot of parts....which it does, we can say it has five decal sheets, which it most definitely does.  Yes all those things makes it great, and I was happy to get it, but I stumbled across this........http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws08_Ho229horten.html   So if the Gotha is a fantastic deal at $149 then this is the sale of the Century.  I saw this kit selling for MSRP $152.  Shipping was $12.  I feel the engineering and molding is as complex than the AEG, some of the parts must be made from molds with five or more parts to the mold itself.  So this was actually my latest purchase, and apparently I bought the last one as it is showing sold out at the moment.  I would assume they are going to still be produced. . I don't think they are sold out forever.  So my point is I'm not sure I'm buying the whole thing that things are so expensive these days to produce and make these kits.  How is this kit such a relative bargain?  I do also want to mention I love WNW, and I will continue to buy their stuff....

Offline petrov27

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 12:28:38 AM »
One thing to consider is that they probably sold/will sell more Hortens vs. AEG - from what I understand, anything WW2 German sells like hotcakes. More sales, less per unit price.

I recall a photo of a big model show where ZM had a stand selling stacks of the new Horten kit - there was long line to purchase them and they sold out at the show. Even if the AEG was $150 I dont think the demand would be similar.

this is just my uneducated opinion....
-Patrick

Kai

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:32:56 AM »
If you want to sell a model kit, make sure it's WWII and German - even a concept like the Horten will sell in shedfulls,

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 03:00:28 AM »
Zavod44,
The Horten kit looks really cool! You have to build it with the plywood decals. It's like an extremely evolved Albatros with a plywood finish.

George

Offline zavod44

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 04:05:57 AM »
Zavod44,
The Horten kit looks really cool! You have to build it with the plywood decals. It's like an extremely evolved Albatros with a plywood finish.

George

I was thinking the same exact thing.........

Also as an interesting side note, the Horten 229 was built at the Gothaer Waggonfabrik plant.  Would be interesting to build them both and have them next to one another, it would represent 30 years of aircraft built at Gotha......
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:15:03 AM by zavod44 »