Author Topic: Nieuport 17 1/32 WNW, nah, Academy... :)  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Doug Mace

Re: Nieuport 17 1/32 WNW, nah, Academy... :)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:36:24 AM »
iwik - I got two of the Mastercaster N17 cowlings and they, like the cockpit conversion, are both a hair too small for the two Academy fuselages I have. Your Bishop ship cowling looks to be Ok. How's the Russian one? Is it a roll of the dice with them as far as a product being the promised size? Any ideas about altering them to attempt a reasonable fit? Seems I read something somewhere about placing parts in hot water for possible expansion? In any event, extremely nice work.       -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline iwik

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:02 AM »
DOUG: The bishop cowling is the kit's. I just detailed it. As for the Russian one, since I sliced off the lower part, I could cheat by raising it a tad higher than it should have been. Et voilą!

Offline Derrick

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »
I love the weathering you did with Bishop's plane. What colours/mix did you use for the silver doping ?

I was thinking of getting the Lone Star resin cockpit for this model, since I had heard of mixed reviews about the Master Caster resin. Although I have not seen any reviews of the Lone Star conversion, I was going with them since I want to order cockpits for the P12 and BF2C that I got from ebay ( a moment of insanity).

I have not started the Nieuport 17 kit but I also read that the wheels were wrong. Did you replace them with alternatives or convert them? I have wondered if trying to scratchbuild the cockpit and other bits would be a better route, although I have not tried my hand at it yet. Still working slowly on a Pfalz IIIa and I was thinking of my first try at scratchbuilding a cockpit with a morane saulnier. I am just getting back into building models so I am slowly buying the tools and stuff I need.

Offline iwik

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:27 AM »
Hi Derrick!
I did scratchbuild the cockpit for the Bishop version. Just as time consuming as fixing the mastercaster one, much cheaper, and more rewarding. If you want I can post some pics here of the work I had done...
Yes. The wheels are wrong. Ugly I'd even say. I think the ones I used were actually resin copies I did of Roden's N27 kit. Darn. Can't remember...
For the silver dope, I used Tam XF11 aluminium to partially cover the preshading. Alcad paint would require many many many layers to cover it up. Only then did I used Alcad mat alu, and magnesium to enhance a bit some parts of the preshading and break the uniformity of the alu paint. It gives it a nice non shiny metalic finish.
Weathering was achieved first with a coat of brown oil wash, quickly wiped out with a paper towel. Final weathering involved tobacco acrylic ink. Takes time but it gives you a lot of control. I really enjoy working with those.
Hope it helps.
Never heard of a Lone Star Nieuport cockpit...
Ciao
Iwik

Offline Derrick

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »
I would like to see those pictures you have of the cockpit please. I have kits of the Nieuport 11 and 16, I wonder if those wheels would work. Here is the link to Lone Star models, the nieuport parts are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.lonestarmodels.com/Conversions-1-32.html

Offline austin08

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »
A very nice pair of nieuports, Iwik
good to see the Russian came good.
cheers
Daryl

WarrenD

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:23 AM »
Iwik,
      Being a Nieuport fan, I love this build!  I noticed the cut-out cowling too, and have a 1/72nd version prepared also. ;) ;) :)  A question: I have always seen "Bob" referred to as  Nie.17, but the information included in the Eduard Nie.23 kit states that this airframe is in fact a Nie.23, and that previous ID's of it as  Nie.17 have been wrong. Now, I sure don't have every Nieuport reference ever published, BUT I wonder from where are they're getting they're information?  I've only ever seen  it ID'd as a Nie.17, have you ever run into any other reference stating otherwise?  '

Just curious and thought I'd ask another Nieuport person.

Thanks!

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »
Hi!
LUKAS: oh you won't be spending much money on them. You can find them really cheap on ebay. Spend the rest on mastercaster' cowling.
Stefan: if you assemble the whole thing hoping it magically fits the sides of the fusealge and the back of the cockpit, like I did hope it would, well you're in for a big surprise. It will be too narrow by a good 2mm. So I first glued one side to the fuselage, but only the bottom of it. Then, after many tries, glued the other side and then glued some thin stripes of plastic to fill in the gap it made with the back part. For short, when viewed from the front, the fuselage sides do indeed touch the floor, but have to make a "V" shape in order to touch the rims of the fuselage sides on the top. See what I mean? :-\

Hello,

Thanks for heads up ;) luckily I already have experienced the friendly prices of Academy on some of my WW2 planes :) Still, I usually spend lot of money on after market stuff... hups :D

Anyway, I'm more interested in your build at the moment and I especially like you fuselage "rub'n buff" technique... how exactly did you achieve that look???

Cheers and happy modelling
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline iwik

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »
Hi!
WarrenD: Same problem. Since I haven't been to find a definite answer, I chose the easy way and decided it was a Ni17!
Lukas: Just put a bit of Rnb and rub it with your finger on the part. Make sure to correctly mask the area though. I didn't want to tarnish the effect with a varnish so couldn't apply any wash on it except water based ones... Hence the use of acrylic inks...
Ciao
Iwik

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »
Hi!
WarrenD: Same problem. Since I haven't been to find a definite answer, I chose the easy way and decided it was a Ni17!
Lukas: Just put a bit of Rnb and rub it with your finger on the part. Make sure to correctly mask the area though. I didn't want to tarnish the effect with a varnish so couldn't apply any wash on it except water based ones... Hence the use of acrylic inks...
Ciao
Iwik

That sounds rather easy... I think I'm actually more struggling to what I should imagine under rub'n buff stuff :) Maybe I'm just little bit lost in translation but can you send me link or something like that. Thanks for tip though ;)

Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline iwik

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »
Hi!

I will open a new post for the Bishop Ni 17 ...

In the meantime, here are the last pictures for Bob!

Hope you'll enjoy the Bishop version as well!
Ciao
Iwik

Offline radio

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 01:50:40 AM »
Very great work and paint Iwik.
Martin

WarrenD

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
So glad you posted these Iwik, great job.

Warren

Offline Dric

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:04 AM »
Delicious models, congarts iwik

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
You're really a Nieuport Master Iwik!!!
WOW