Author Topic: Staaken E/20 Transport  (Read 4147 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Staaken E/20 Transport
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
Ok...so it's not quite WWI  ;) but it was conceived before the war ended and would have carried some ordinance over London had things continued (at a pretty dang good speed too).  It was made of duraluminum so was light years ahead of its time.  Actually, all it needed was retractable gear and this may as well have been a B-24 or B-17....in 1918!

Plus...I don't want to see the Vac build portion of Des' website stagnate too much so...

I started this a while ago and am in the home stretch.  It's a Classic Plane 1/72nd kit.  It's taken quite a lot of filler especially at the wing root and the surface was pretty rough but it looks pretty cool all in all.  There is a balsa spar in there making things nice and tough.  I need to do some detail painting, the pilots, detail/figure out the engines, paint the wheels and do a bit more weathering.  In the home stretch.

Thanks for indulging me and taking a look...Dan

P.S.  Des: if this guy really doesn't belong here, feel free to remove it.  There are more "real" WWI vacs in the wings!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Staaken E/20 Transport
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »
No problems posting your model here Dan, it was designed in 1917 so is still WW1 period. You have done a great job with this kit so far, looking forward to seeing more progress.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
very interesting ship, Dan!  Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Berman

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 03:11:22 AM »
 I never could understand why the victorious Allies ordered this very advanced aircraft to be scrapped while the US, Britain, and Italy built disasters like the Barling bomber, Tarrant Tabor, and Caproni Transaero.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:57:26 AM »
Very nice
This aircraft is one of my favourites and I have a card model of this aircraft in 1/50 somewhere.
In some of my next lives I'll build it :-)
My intention was to make a scratch built in 48, and I have also two vacs to complete the stash...
Your model is very nice, especially for the lozenges , which contrast with the metal parts.
Er me

Offline jknaus

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
That looks cool. Very nicely done.
James

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
Cool!  It's like a Floh meets a Staaken and fell in love.

Warren

Offline petrov27

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
very nice build and what an interesting subject! I had never heard of or seen this aircraft before - amazing that it was designed in 1917 - it looks more advanced than some designs from the early 30s....
-Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
very nice build and what an interesting subject! I had never heard of or seen this aircraft before - amazing that it was designed in 1917 - it looks more advanced than some designs from the early 30s....

My thoughts as well.  A very interesting aeroplane and you are
doing a great job of it as usual, Dan.  Looking forward to seeing
more progress shots.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
All,

Even though it's hard to see...I did do some work on the old girl.  I painted the pilots, wheels and added the windows from clear packing tape cut just larger than the openings.  On one close up you can even see the packing tape that needs to be stuck down a bit. Close ups with digital cameras don't lie!  >:(

Now I need to figure out what the top of the engines looked like and where the exhausts go plus make four props.  Final painting will be some highlighting on the nose area...and yes...I need to put a couple of simple windshields but that's it! 

Almost there... :D :D

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
Finish line is getting close Dan , looking forward on the final pic's  :)

I do like how the figures turned out and gives a view of just how big this aircraft was .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »
This is shaping up beautifully Dan, the pilot figures good very good, very exposed though. Looking forward to seeing the final details added to this great looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com