Author Topic: Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 "Batch Build"  (Read 2408 times)

WarrenD

Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 "Batch Build"
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »
I completed my first kit since coming back to the hobby in 2003. (I spent the last half of 2002 building our house so I could have a hobby room in which to start chipping away at the stash I slowly collected over the previous years.) From 2003 to 2006 I managed to just about destroy four other builds. In 2006, I quit work to go to grad school and teach, and the scale modeling got put on the back burner. I've spent most of today clearing away cobwebs, etc to ready the workbench. I'm tired of NOT getting anything built!! >:(  So, I'm thinking that by posting here, I'll put it out there and make myself overcome modeling inertia.

So, I'm going to attempt a "batch build" of two or more Eduard Nieuport 17 Profipacks. Why a "batch build"?  If I'm going to have to mix paint, etc. I may as well do it for more than one since the quantities will be so small, even for one kit. I've seen at least one other 1/72nd scale modeler do this with good results, and it helps in moving kits off of the shelf of doom.

So, here's the kit: http://www.eduard.com/store/Aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/Nieuport-Ni-17-DUAL-COMBO-1-72.html?cur=2

No surprises there, the usual suspects I'm sure many of you are familiar with.

For research, I'm going to use the following:

Both the Nieuport 17 DF and vol. 1 of the Nieuport Fighters DF:

The DF Special Nieuport Fighters of the Lafayette Escadrille and the Aces & Aeroplanes volume on Georges Guynemer

The good ol' FMP book French Aircraft of the First World War and Marc Chassard's The Air War of Two Aces :

I know I've got a couple of other reference books in the cave with Nieuport material in them, but these will be the primary players.

I haven't decided on just which crates I'm going to produce yet, the choices are so many. Not only are there some good choices on the kit decals (except for the "purple" roundels and tricolors) but I have at least three Americal-Gryphon sheets from which to choose:

I'm going to count on all of you a great deal to get me over some hurdles, so prepare to be pestered to death.

Warren

Offline Cajun

Re: Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 "Batch Build"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
Looking forward to this!!!!!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
This will be a very interesting batch build and one well worth following, you certainly have a great selection of reference material.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
Thanks Des, yes, I've assembled a bit over the years as my wallet and opportunity afforded. Matt Bittner on the WWI Modeling List is the one I can blame for giving me "Nieuport Fever". Until Vladimir Sulc of Eduard finally released this little gem, this fighter was underrepresented in 1/72nd for far too long. For decades the only choice was the ancient Revell offering, or knock-offs of the same. and this of a fighter used by the French Air Service, RFC/RNAS, Italy, Belgium, and the IRAS. The markings schemes/choices boggle the mind. I could build a couple dozen of them and still have others I'd like to see on the shelf.

I cannot recommend the Chassard book highly enough for anyone who is a fan of the type. There is a LOT of Nie.17 information contained between its covers. I only wish I could have gotten an early copy that came with a limited edition decal sheet featuring some unique storks, markings, etc.  The black & white iteration of the stork is not conclusive, but there is some compelling evidence for its use. I'm tempted to chop up some of my A-G decals to reproduce it, but I'm hesitant since A-G is long OOP, and I won't be able to obtain anymore.

On a happy note, further rummaging in the cave revealed a box with some other lost parts of my previous attempt. Hopefully, I'll get to post more pics since it looks like I may be snow-bound here at the house.

Warren

Offline Type99

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
Cool, this will be interesting to follow. Somehow I'm sure before its all over I'll have some of these Nieuports in the stash!

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
Cajun & Type99, I sure hope I don't let y'all down.

Warren

Offline vincentm

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Very interesting project.
(batch building) helps in moving kits off of the shelf of doom
well...it also pushes you for buying more...
However, it actually spares time...and paint as you mentioned.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
Warren,
I am looking forward to watching you get back into Modeling! I once had all of those Americal Sheets, ( In 1/48th of course), and now wish I had splurged for the 1/32nd scale Storks sheets that were available for a short time frame. Happily there are some choices in the bigger scale!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:03 AM »
Welcome back!  I look forward to watching this.

Chris

p.s. Thanks for the great reference on references!

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:14:07 AM »
I'm looking forward to this!

Ian

Offline Cajun

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 01:36:03 AM »
Im sure you will do it fine bud!!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
Warren,
     I'll be following carefully; by coincidence I just paid for some special masks for the Hobby Craft 1:32 version this A.M. Sure wish WNW would do one of these, it's a beautiful little machine and one of my favourites.
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:01 AM »
Lance,
          I sold off all of my 1/48th scale kits except for one Nie.17 and one Albie, concentrating instead on 1/72nd. Truthfully, I do wish WNW would kit both a Nie.17 and a Nie.11/16. Everybody has one or two a/c that they could, and would, build in any scale for the rest of their days, and those two Nieuports are in that category for me.

Warren

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
 Ooooooooooo  I get to be pester !

Looking forward on your project Warren . Oh yeah , nice collection of refs  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

WarrenD

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
My apologies for no updates or progress on this. I hit a snag in getting my man cave back in shape, they hit us with even more work at the school where I teach, the warmer weather demands that certain things be done to prep the garden, AND it's time for the RoF - Bloody April V event.

Do not despair, I'll be getting on with it soon.

Warren