Author Topic: A Blast From The Past  (Read 707 times)

WarrenD

A Blast From The Past
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:41:14 AM »
OK, I'm cleaning out my man cave (man closet, really) in an effort to get the modeling bench in some kind of shape to begin again. Boy howdy!  It's amazing the amount of "schtuff" you just accumulate. I've accumulated a TON of modeling magazines!  Back in the 80's and 90's that was ok, they often featured some good builds, good reference materials, etc. However, after the internet got to steaming along pretty well, the information they currently contain is less useful I've found. Kinda sad really. In any event, I've got a gob of them to go through, just wish there was a paper recycling center within decent driving distance of my house.

Anyway, I came across the second and third editions of "The Scale Modeling Buyer's Guide" put out by Fine Scale Modeler/Kalmbach Publishing back in 1991 and 1993 respectively. (Yes kids, before the interwebs, someone actually tried to corral all of this info between two covers.  :D  )  I remember thinking this was an awesome reference at the time, a "one-stop shop" of sorts.

Just for craps and giggles, I looked through the table of contents of the '93 edition to see what was available to us in terms of WWI models, and thought I'd share it here for everyone's trip down memory lane.

1/28th Scale
Hobbycraft Canada (Dr.I)

1/32nd Scale
Falcon Industries (Fokker D.VIII vac)
Hobbycraft Canada
ID Models/MMD (Alb. D.V vac.)

1/48th Scale
Aeroclub
DML
Falcon (Be2c vac)
Koster Aero Enterprises (vacs)
Lindberg
Lone Star (resin)
Sierra Scale (vacs)
Smer
Wings48 (vac)

1/72nd Scale
Aeroclub
Air Craft Models (vacs)
Aviation Usk
Eagles Talon (vacs)
Eastern Star (vac)
Emhar
Formaplane (vacs)
Humbrol Airfix
Master Models (resin)
Minicraft
Pegasus
Rare Plane (vacs)
Sierra Scale
Sign (resin)
Smer
Toycraft Berg (resin)
Wings72 (vacs)

1/285th Scale
C in C Soft Metal Casting (metal kits)

Conversions
1/72nd Scale

Blue Rider
Rosemont Hobby (BOY!  Are they missed!)

Some, nay, even many are now long gone, and some such as Rosemont/Roseplane, Aeroclub, etc. are sorely missed.

Warren

PS: I wonder if these two volumes are of any value to kit collectors, etc.?

Offline ermeio

Re: A Blast From The Past
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:31:11 AM »
A great blast from the past...
what memories!
I think that there is always someone that could be  happy to give home to your magazines,
but the best dwelling for them would be some library - it is not so difficult to find some local library that will collect them, just try to write an email at those around you and offer the collection.
er me

WarrenD

Re: A Blast From The Past
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it er me.  :)  Sadly, I live in a small town with a tiny library. Long story very short, libraries are like museums, they never have enough of two things: money or space. It would be a waste of my time and gas to take them there.

Warren