Author Topic: 1/72 Roden Albatros D.III  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Type99

1/72 Roden Albatros D.III
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:38 AM »
Hello all,
I started this kit during holiday season of 2013 to have a WWI themed build ongoing. I was initially confounded by the multipiece upper wing and discouraged by the lacking Cockpit. Building the engine and test fitting the wings was all the further I got.

Fast foward to this past november, I got the bug to finish a long standing hangar queen, my eduard 1/48 DR.I. I also pulled this out and decided I might get somewhere this time, between steps on my triplane. I first got the wing glued together using my bench top, masking tape and a steel ruler to keep the wing straight but I was underway. I decided in the absence of significant cockpit detail which I feel is very visible, to add it myself. Its not that accurate and isnt going to be mistaken for a real aircraft but its so much better than nothing and doesnt look too bad IMHO. Everthing so far has been done with sheet styrene. I was going to add some pe bits but decided against to keep the detail even looking. PE will be confined to the guns and harness. Some thing have changed since the first photo. The seat brackets are now thinner and the control column is being modified and painted a more appropriate green color.

Beginning of Ignition controls on port wall.
Bulkhead and ammunition bins.

The Roden makes a nicely detailed kit for the most part but the fit can be challenging requiring fore thought sanding sticks and tape.

The plan is to finish this as Ernst Hess's jasta 28w machine, with green rear fuselage and jasta 28s yellow tail with black stripe. I find the scheme simple and attractive.
always open to tips comments and suggestions

Mike

Offline BigBlue

Re: 1/72 Roden Albatros D.III
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:18:18 AM »
Looks like a nice start, Mike!

Chris

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:55:37 AM »
Mike,
        You're off to a great start in my very humble opinion, and my VERY limited experience with Roden (mostly dry-fitting) tells me you're dead on in your assessment of their fit. Great little kits, frustrating to get together without a blue cloud around your head.

Glad to see there are others among us that have to put a build down, and then pick it up later.

I'll be following your build closely as I love Albies and have several Rodent kits in the stash.

Warren

Offline Type99

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:40:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments!

Warren, Im a bit of an albatros fan too, at least asthetically speaking. They definitely look the part of a scout/fighter and of course the variety of schemes. While I like the kit, I dont care for the 3 piece wing. I understand why they did it,I'm just a bit apprehensive about getting these seams to vanish into the rest of wing

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:18:25 AM »
Nice start. The wings aren't the problem, the seams won't notice. Watch out for the fit of the cabane struts though....

Ian
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:22:10 AM by IanB »

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:31:44 AM »
I remember others being skeptical, etc. when the kit came out Type99. If memory serves me correctly (always a risk with me!) I believe a friend or two put it together utilizing various stacks of index cards at varying heights to get everything aligned. They reinforced the joint by drilling and gluing in brass rod too.

As for me and my house, I'm going to tackle one of the Eduard D.V's first, and then jump into the Rodent-infested waters.  However, I've got some other projects underway I want to clear out first.

Please continue to post about this build tho'!  :)

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:24:34 AM »
Really nice work on your little Albatros! I think the interior is excellent for the scale! I am looking forward to your progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:54:49 AM »
You are moving along quite nicely Mike, being 1:72 scale adds its own challenges but you seem to be managing very well, looking forward to seeing the next update.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
Nice work on the details Mike  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .