Author Topic: Caproni Ca3  (Read 4229 times)

Offline malaula

Caproni Ca3
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
Not much goin'on on this part of the forum!! Now here's my two Capronis(or 1 2/3rd).Bashed together of a Meikraft and a Lüdemann-kit,both mostly unusable except for the wings and tailbooms,the Lüdemann wings being a Meikraft rip-off with ribs added.Figures were made out of  Hät's italian artillery.Hangar built according to photographs of Tirana airfield in Albania 1917 featured in WS datafile. Gold medal Euromodelexpo 2013.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:56:12 PM by malaula »

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Caproni Ca3
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:01:51 PM »
I'm by no means an expert on WWI aircraft. I'll admit that the first time I saw a Caproni Ca3 airplane was in the Japanese Anime film "The Wind Rises". I thought it was a fictitious invention as in the film "Porco Rosso".   :-\ I'm embarrassed to discover they are based in reality, but I'm starting to really like them and would someday like to build one of my own.

Your models are exceptional. Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me, as well as the paper version that Pericles has posted, to look further into the history of these unique planes.

Thanks,
George

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:21:53 AM »
Malula,
          I know I've seen images of your diorama before, but can't remember just where. In any event, it looks just as great now as it did when I first saw it. I used to have two of those Meikraft kits, but traded them to someone that could do more with them than I could.

George, there have been rumors over the years of a new Caproni kit, but so far no joy. I think there are some resin versions out and about, you'll just have to see.

Again, a beautiful job Malula.

Warren

Offline malaula

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 02:33:11 AM »
Thanks George and Warren,much appreciated!I had some posts on the other now deceased forum.And yes,there are some resin kits from Choroscy available,but those are VERY ambitiuos with an estimated million parts on big casting blocks.I had bought one for the engines just to find out you'd have to assemble even the tiniest parts like rocker arms individually :(!

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:47 AM »
those are VERY ambitiuos with an estimated million parts on big casting blocks.I had bought one for the engines just to find out you'd have to assemble even the tiniest parts like rocker arms individually :(!

Wow!  As my students would say. "that's just too extra!" 

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:04:52 AM »
I remember this remarkable diorama from the other forum, Matz!  So glad you've posted it here for us to enjoy.  One of the most vibrant and active dios I've ever seen in this scale.  The figures are amazing.  They look like 1/48 scale.  And those Capronis!  Wow!  Beautiful all around.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 07:03:18 AM »
Another well deserved medal winning diorama, every aspect of this dio is remarkable, the hangar is superb as are the two Caproni aircraft, and the addition of a lot of figures always makes the scene look busy.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:21:18 AM »
Another gem from your excellent diofactory!
Cheers
Jörg

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:53:05 AM »
Just as outstanding now as the first time I saw this one! Beautiful work on kits that were considered almost Impossible to build. The Structure and figures are amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:26 AM »
Superb!

Great model and dio

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline malaula

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »
Thanks all,glad you like it!I found a pic of the forementioned Choroszy kit spread out...there is a very thin line between genius and madness!All those accourate small parts are waiting to be cut off their casting blocks and  be cleaned by whom brave enough to tackle this ambitious kit...I have build Choroszys Friedrichshafen GIIIa and got others in my stash but I for sure will not do this one!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:32:07 AM »
Stunning work, Malaula. With dioramas, it's the vision as well as the execution, and you score so highly on both for me.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Royston

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:40 PM »
Great dio, all those figures really show of the size of the Ca3

I have that Chorszy kit and I started it.
Then put it away, why? because the upper wing is in three parts and once joined together they like to warp at will first one side then the other.
I have an idea how to prevent this but other items on my to do list take preference at the moment.

Roy

Offline malaula

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:40 AM »
Yep!I experienced the same wing-warping on my HansaBrandenburg GI build...

Offline Royston

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:46:20 AM »
when I get round to it i'll let you know how I get on.
Liquid courage may be needed first though ;)

Roy