Author Topic: securing models for transport  (Read 941 times)

Offline Culi

securing models for transport
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »
Hello gentlemen

I am thinking how to secure WWI model planes for transport. Its not a long ride, i would transport them by car but yet, since i am going for exhibition don't want something bad to happen. Previously i was fixing  models on a little wooden stand, but it also didn't prove as successful solution. Some of the modelers are fixing them upside-down with a toothpicks on a foam board, but since biplanes are more fragile this doesn't solution as well... I was thinking to fix something under the fuselage and than to secure it somehow... but with all those rigging around i am not sure.

How are you doing? Some examples, thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:15:39 AM by jak »
The process meters...  therefore so much models are stuck between start and finish

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: securing models for transport
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:54:35 AM »
It's probably a bit unusual, but I find a box or even a Tupperware bin and line it with tissue or toilet paper, then fill all the empty gaps with more tissue. It's has always worked well for me, but sometimes gets some funny looks from others.

George

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »
I have been wondering this lately myself. Im moving next month and I am worried about moving 40 1/72 planes 14 miles to my new home. They are especially fragile in that scale.
Im open to ideas too!
I am not keen on moving them in many boxes with a few in each. Plus I want to avoid repairs once moved.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
Have a look at this old post from 2012, it may give you a few ideas.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=391.msg5081#msg5081

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com