Author Topic: I Feel The Dark Side Beckoning  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

I Feel The Dark Side Beckoning
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:08:41 AM »
As some of you are aware, in a former life that took a somewhat unexpected turn exactly one year ago, I was a dyed in the wool AFV modeller. Old habits die hard and I find myself drawn back to the 'Dark Side' with the release of the Second World War M19 Tank Transporter in 1/35 scale from Accurate Armour.

Diamond-T 980/981 Tractor:

Rogers M9 45-Ton Trailer:

M19 Diamond-T Tank Transporter:

I'm sure that you all have a model that you've always wanted to build, and this is the one for me. Mind you, it won't come cheap at $359.00 for the pair delivered to my door, but it's pretty hard to resist the temptation to splurge on this. Now all I need to do is cut back on the air conditioning for the summer months, ensure that my wife only uses the clothes dryer in non-peak hours, forego her birthday present . . .   :o  :o

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Cimmerian

Re: I Feel The Dark Side Beckoning
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
Looks like a nice model. I have a 1/35 Tiger 1 about a third built (but don't tell anyone - I don't want to get kicked off of here for traitorism! :))
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »
  Chris,
Go for it my old friend,nothing wrong in modeling multiple genres . But you might want to revise any plans forgoing the Wife's birthday gift, LOL
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »
Looks like a nice model. I have a 1/35 Tiger 1 about a third built (but don't tell anyone - I don't want to get kicked off of here for traitorism! :))

Too Late you've just been BUSTED by the moderator
" What Me Worry"

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:48:03 AM »

Too Late you've just been BUSTED by the moderator

Rats, who grassed on me?  :)
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:54:23 AM »
Chris,
   Got to say......be careful out there! Cancelling a Birthday Gift for SWMBO could be of serious consequence, but if you do can I have your hockey sticks?!? :)
    I suspected you were getting shaky with the Swordfish; now this OMG!! (It won't last, WNW's next release will get an immediate grip on both your heart and your wallet!)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:35:46 AM »
Chris,
   Got to say......be careful out there! Cancelling a Birthday Gift for SWMBO could be of serious consequence, but if you do can I have your hockey sticks?!? :)
    I suspected you were getting shaky with the Swordfish; now this OMG!! (It won't last, WNW's next release will get an immediate grip on both your heart and your wallet!)
Cheers,
Lance

I talk tough when she's not around. If she knew what I wrote, I'd be wearing those sticks!  :o :o

No fear about losing interest in rigged aircraft though. My recent order for WnW's FE.2b kit shipped on the 15th, NZ time, so it's already well on its way to me.

Chris,
Go for it my old friend,nothing wrong in modeling multiple genres .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

You're right about that Gregory. A change is as good as a rest.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
WWII stuff is what I usually do too. My SSW DIII might be my last string bag for a while so I can make up my Eduard Bf109 Royal Edition  8)

That looks like a very nice kit indeed RB.

@Chris - So you wont be getting the M19 (which looks awesome....) kit in a hurry then ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
@Chris - So you wont be getting the M19 (which looks awesome....) kit in a hurry then ;D

No, it'll be awhile as they're pretty expensive but when I do, I'll buy them individually. Factoring in price and shipping, there's no incentive to buy the M19 (both tractor and trailer) as a single kit as it's only $9.00 cheaper than if I buy them individually.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
It's interesting how things end up in the blood that just can't be filtered out. They just lay there dormant for a time then jump up an nab ya.  ;D ;D ;D

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:13:42 AM »
FWIW..... even though I  have a special penchant  for WWI aircraft,  I've got a Tamiya  1/32, P-51 that I'm saving for this winter to start.

I  also have  a couple of pre WWI aircraft kits, one that I will start  next week  before I
start on one of  my WWI  Morane Sauliners, "N"  and "A-1".  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:21:47 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
And lurking in the deep, dark recesses of my modelling area are two unfinished 1/35th projects, both due by the end of the year: Sherman Firefly and Staghound. Fer Gawd's sake don't tell Gregory!!  :-X  :-X
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:43:43 AM »
Speaking of which, here's where I stand with the Staghound. Lovely molding, but the instruction sheet is a nightmare squared! Even if you follow the sequence (such as it is, and which, in some areas, I do NOT recommend) you can run into roadblocks. About 30% of my time on this has been spent looking forward to verify what should be done "now" in order to get to the required state "then." And I've still run off the road a couple of times. It'll be a nice result (he said, patting his own back!), but it will take beaucoup de patience to get there! :o

Hope that you're all having a great summer, guys!  :D

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Jim52

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »
But....where are the struts???? :D

Jim

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 10:47:43 AM »
But....where are the struts???? :D

Jim

Not attached yet. First I have to fit the large single wing to the fuselage. You can see the two large mounting points on either side of the fuselage, already in place. With the wing mounted, there are two bracing struts on each wing that run from about mid-wing to the upper fuselage (you can see the two double-pinned attachment points on either side of the gun housing). With the wing assembly in place, I can then fit the rather rudimentary tail assembly, and then start the overall rigging process. The undercarriage is reminiscent of some of the early four-wheeled French designs, used in this design to help keep the rather heavy airframe on a level run just after landing. All in all, quite an interesting design. It would have been used in the ground attack role if the war had carried into 1919, but the end of hostilities led to a cancellation of the contract in December, 1918.  8)   ::)   8)
Cheers!
Gary